JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  12 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

I have a 2010 BMW 535xi and it has stalling issues. I got a

Customer Question

I have a 2010 BMW 535xi and it has stalling issues. I got a code from a generic scanner that led me to replace the lpfs, but still has same issue. I saw online that it could be a fuel management computer of some kind, and I would like to know how likely this is, how I might be able to test it, and if I need to code it or just install it. Basically need help with this stalling issue.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 8 months ago.

To be clear the lpfs is a low pressure fuel sensor, Correct?

You have a fault for low fuel pressure and the vehicle is stalling. I would check the fuel pump they are a common failure on your vehicle. I would check the fuel pressure and drive the vehicle around with a gauge attached to diagnosis the stalling.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that is correct for the lpfs. I will try that, where is the fuel test point schraeder valve for the low pressure side of the fuel system located? And again I would like to know if that fuel system module is a common fail and if it needs to be coded once replaced. Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sir?
Expert:  Kenny replied 8 months ago.

There is no schraeder valve on your vehicle, You need to put a jumper adapter into fuel line with a schaeder port. Snap on sells the one I use. The place you need to break into the system is under the panel on the driver side near the transmission.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, well how about the programming for the fuel system module. Anything on that?
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 7 months ago.

Can you provide the last 7 digits of the vehicle VIN please? Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for picking up the question, I pretty much gave up hope on the other guy, so I stopped checking my email. The last 7 digits are C137798. Let me know what you come up with.

The fuel pump control module (EKPS) is located on the right side behind the carpeted trunk panel near the battery well. Its mounted to the side of the body in a bracket behind the carpeted trim.

The module does need to be coded to work.

Do you still have fault codes for the low pressure system? If so, what are the codes and the scan tool you are using?

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The code I have is 2AAF and reads "fuel pump plausibilty". I have a handheld Schwaben BMW scanner. I recently got it, they are supposed to be good.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do those fuel pump control modules commonly get replaced? Could I do the programming through that scan tool?

The EKPS module is a commonly replaced component. Your scan tool will not be able to code it though.

For that fault code though, the low pressure fuel sensor below the intake manifold on the line going into the high pressure fuel pump is a commonly failed component. When the sensor is not reading correctly, the engine will not get the proper amount of fuel to the high pressure pump, hence running poorly and stalling.

Can you read the low pressure fuel value with your scanner with the engine at idle and report back?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I purchased and replaced that sensor in late September, hoping that would solve the stalling problem. At the time of purchase, it was only available in stock as a kit with the section of stainless fuel line. It cost more money, but I only used the sensor, since the existing metal line looked fine. When It did not solve the problem, I began checking online forums and then considered the lp fuel pump or the EKPS, although at this point would like something more than I hunch before I replace any expensive parts. I will get back to you with that pressure reading either tonight or tomorrow, thank you.

Perfect. Let me know whats its reading, you may have an EKPS module issue if the sensor has already been replaced.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** pressure reading with key on engine off is 3000Hpa, and the low pressure is 2800Hpa. When running, the high pressure reading fluctuates around 170,000Hpa and the low pressure reading is about 2700Hpa. I was not lucky enough to have the car stall while the scanner was hooked up. These are the units that my BMW scanner uses, I was hoping for psi, but I guess it doesn't matter.

High pressure reading is fine, appears the high pressure pump should be ok.

Your low pressure reading is low though, this is the issue. Should be around 5200-5700 hPa (5.2-5.7 bar) of pressure at idle. So, either it actually is that low, or you have a low pressure sensor reading issue. You'll need to hook up a mechanical gauge inline at the quick connect coupler (T the gauge into the line) and check the actual pressure reading.

Respond back with results once performed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I appreciate your patience on this. Can you show me a link to the correct coupler I will have to buy to tap into the line for a pressure reading? I will rate you, and hopefully we can continue this dialogue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please enable rating.

This is the fuel pressure test kit I use.

http://www.mactools.com/en-us/Specialty-Tools/Fuel-System-Tools/6e281341-64eb-4b63-b265-a5610173ff5f/Fuel-Injection-Pressure-Test-Sets/FIT1200MS/Master-Fuel-Injection-Pressure-Test-Kit

Very pricey for the do it your selfer, but it have the needed T adapter to check pressure on these engines. I'm looking into alternatives now.

Rating should be available for you now. Thanks,