BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

No crank no start new starter new battery can push start

Customer Question
(standard) JA: When you turn the...
No crank no start new starter new battery can push start (standard)
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: No click just fuel pump
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 06 325i
JA: Are you fixing your 325i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Jumped out clutch switch new starter check fuses tested battery old starter worked but failed bench test
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't seem to find starter circuit prints
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
11/1/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Do you have a BMW scan tool?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a blue point scan tool
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Diagnostic tank leakage is code will not reset
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I put momentary switch right to solenoid on starter to power car starts and runs fine let me know where my problem is ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No codes
BMW Mechanic: JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech replied 1 year ago
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Hi there, do you still need assistance?
-JP
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still have not found the problem but am using the car as is

From your description it sounds like you have a poor ground connection from the engine to the body of the vehicle. There is 2 ways you can test this. One with a multimeter- check for voltage drop from the engine to body when someone is trying to start it. Anything above 0.3 volts is no good and the ground strap should be replaced. The other is to take a set of jumper cables and attach one side to the engine (oil filter housing would be fine) and the other to the chassis ground lug under the hood and try starting it.

Let me know how you make out.

-JP

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did check ground straps by looking at and pulling on them I will check with a meter tonight after

Yes, check with a meter please. Respond back when the check is made.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jay, just thinking out loud the momentary switch I added only power no ground so that tells me ground is good?

So, you added power to the starter solenoid by what means? Jumper pack, power probe?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ran a wire from alternator hot wire to inline fuse then momentary switch to starter

Sounds like the ground may be fine then. I would double check the voltage drop anyways to be safe. It sounds like you may have a voltage drop on the power side. Check the jump start terminal and connection point below the battery (at the body) for corrosion. These are both common places.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My first try with switch was from jump start terminal

Any update?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I'm thinking it is the starter button how can I test it? Do you have a print of the starting system?

I'll need the VIN number of the car to pull up a wiring diagram,...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do tonight
JayPutelis
JayPutelis