Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2012 128i and the service engine soon light is on.

Customer Question

I have a 2012 128i and the service engine soon light is on. the car has 39,400 miles on it. When do I have to have the service? 40,000?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No, it's not giving me a specific problem code.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the BMW Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your 128i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The problem is I moved to Roswell, NM four months ago and there is not one BMW dealer here. The closest is three hours away. Can a Goodyear Service Center do the required service?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, what I've sent is enough for now. Thx!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Have you tried to connect a scan tool to read diagnostic codes? Does vehicle still seem to run fine? Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The vehicle runs fine. Could any mechanic connect a scan too to the car, or does it have to be done by a BMW mechanic?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Text messages are fine
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Yes, any mechanic can scan car to check codes. You can also have this done for free at your local parts store. Once you get codes you can write them down and reply to this answer without additional fees. With codes I can give you common/possible causes, testing/repair instructions, and costs. It sounds like you probably have a emission problem since vehicle runs fine. Let me know if you have more questions or run into questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

No problem, let me know how it goes. Thanks again and have a Happy Halloween!