BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

BMW X3 Died While Driving and Wont Turn Over.

Customer Question
2008 BMW X3  just died...

2008 BMW X3  just died while driving and it wont even turn over. The battery is good. I have installed a new electrical distribution module. but nothing is happening.

Why are the dash lights coming on but the car not cranking? 

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
10/19/2016
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine died while driving and now will not crank then the first thing I would suspect is the engine controller is not awake, either due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it.

Does the fuel pump when when the key is first turned on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Not sure if fuel pump comes on. I don't hear it.

It should crank over to activate fuel? I know the motor hasn't ceased.

What about engine controller? What's involved with it?

The fuel pump should run when the key is first turned on. Can you check to see if it runs and if possible see if the ECM will communicate with a scan tool?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician