BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

1997 BMW 381i Top starts to go down but stops partway & the

Customer Question
1997 BMW 381i Top starts...
1997 BMW 381i Top starts to go down but stops partway & the tonnou cover doesn't start to come up TO MEET IT. What now coach? Went to bmw dealer and spoke wirh rep. "the interfaces aren't working" WAS HIS COMMENT. First 20 minutes diagnosis free, $139.50 thereafter. "estimated" time required - 6 to 8 hours. Seven hrs. is $976.50. Paid $1,700.00 for car, spent $400.00 plus already, but ???? Found independete in Houston at $104.00/hr but have no feeling of degree of expertiese.WEBSITE BMW, not Audi
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 3 days by:
10/18/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This fault here is usually most of the time caused by a fault with one of the limit/position switches sending an incorrect signal on what position the roof is in as well as the roof components.Unfortunately your model has several of these switches so it is difficult to say for sure from here which is the cause.What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set using a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model.Once this has been done any codes set will help locate the fault.The scan tool will also help observe data to locate the faulty switch needing replaced.This shouldnt take more then an hour to diagnose.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician