Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I was brought a 2003 bmw z4 to diagnose an issue it has with

Customer Question

I was brought a 2003 bmw z4 to diagnose an issue it has with the soft top. Normally I'd start with inspection of the hydraulic fluid, check the lines and test the motors and switches but this car has been taken apart by someone else(probably the owner). The wires for the top are handing down from the top and out of the body. Many wires have had the insulation removed and could possibly touch each other.What would you do? Would you even try and diagnose or just give the car back?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

do you have a factory BMW scan tool and access to bmw wiring diagrams?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not. Would you be able to help me trouble shoot it? I'll rate this one with a 5 star regardless of you answer. If you say yes, I'll request you agin on another question about this top.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 9 months ago.

Hi new expert here,I see Steve has not replied.Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't need help with this anymore. I think I'm gonna buy the scan tool you recommended. I have a snapon solus edge but that doesn't give me any of the higher functions on bmw, saab, etc...

O.k.,I do apologize for the delay and saw you had requested me originally but wanted to give Steve a chance to help since he posted first.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure. I can't rate this...

No problem.No rating needed since we couldn't help here.

Thanks Pete