Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

MY BMW WOULDNT START THE OTHER DAY, THE CAR TURNS OVER

Customer Question

MY BMW WOULDNT START THE OTHER DAY , THE CAR TURNS OVER REALLY PERFECT JUST WOULDNT START. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT BEFORE EVER! SO I CALLED A TOW TRUCK WHICH SAID IT WOULD BE A 2 HOUR WAIT SO WHILE I WAS WAITING I LISTENED TO THE RADIO. I HAD TRIED TO START IT 30 TIMES AT LEAST- THE KEY MADE ALL THE ELEC- ON TURNED CAR OVER ECT. LATER I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY IT AGAIN JUST TO SEE - AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP ! LATER I FOUND OUT THAT BMW HAS A IMMOBILIZER FOR THEFT THAT WONT WONT ALLOW YOU TO START THE CAR. I ALSO KNOW THAT BMW KEYS RECHARGE THEMSELVES EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR! ANYWAY ( MY QUESTION IS --CAN I DO ANY THING TO DEACTIVATE THE IGNITION ANTI-THEFT IMMOBILIZER. I THINK BY ME HAVING THE KEY IN THE IGNITION LISTENING TO MUSIC ALL THAT TIME MAY HAVE HAD SOME THNG TO DO WITH THE CAR STARTING RIGHT UP AGAIN WITH NO PROBLEM, IS IT IN THE KEY OR CAN I REST IT MY CAR SOMEHOW SO I CAN START IT!
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
PLEASE ASAP HELP ME !!! THIS IS IN REFERENCE TO THE QUESTION ABOUT MY CAR 325CI 2001 PLEASE HELP ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE MY CAR HAS NOW DONE THE SAME THING ! SO IM STUCK IN A PARKING LOT STRANDED
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the alarm module in the vehicle.
is it the module, the receiver, hood switch , door switch, wiring etc.. , it could be number of reasons & there is not a fuse or a relay that you can pull out to disconnect it unfortunatley

But What you Can do is a master reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables ) you can use any electrical wire as extension if cables dont reach

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it didnt work Im so bummed !!

sorry i wish it did suzanne

you will need that scan unfortunately to be sure what happened

Chad