BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Fuel trim bank 2 adaption limit, Starts great, runs great.

Customer Question
Fuel trim bank 2 adaption...
Fuel trim bank 2 adaption limit
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts great, runs great. Good mileage on freeway, 17 mpg in stop and go traffic.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2003 BMW 330xi
JA: Are you fixing your 330xi yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, full tune up, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, o2 sensors, etc..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The check engine light only comes on at about 500 miles, but if I use the Schwaben reader I see the fault right away
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
10/1/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What else has been replaced other than what was listed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Belts, pulls, cooling system, that sort of stuff. It looks like the previous owner d
Had the oil separator upgrade done. There does not seem to be any air leaks - used the brake cleaner method to check
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let's just chat for now. It's easier be cause I am in my office today
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to use the Schwaben tool to check the individual components...?
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it's only setting a code for one bank the problem is usually an inaccurate upstream oxygen sensor.

What is the actual P code setting?

You mentioned oxygen sensors. Were they replaced? If so, which ones and where did the replacements come from?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, and thank you for your reply.
The code I am seeing is P0173 (E4).
The car in question - 2003 BMW 330xi has ~ 137,000 miles on it and I replaced all four (4) O2 sensors using the O2 sensors from my other car - 2001 BMW 330i. The sensors had approx 90,000 miles on them and they were not tripping codes while in the 2001. I plan on experimenting with the Schwaben code reader at lunchtime to the see if it tells me anything.
Thanks for any insight you can tell me...
Rodney

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thanks.
At lunch I ran through a series of scans with the car on and the engine not running and then tried with the engine idling. No codes were present. I plan to try again tonight after driving back to my apartment from work. I am thinking the P0173 code will return after some actual driving. Thanks for your help.

Can you double check the code? P0173 isn't valid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The code is actually E4 on the Schwaben and the Peake code readers.
P0173 is the code found in the Haynes manual and all over the Internet for a Fuel trim malfunction bank 2. That is the system tried to go outside the limits to adjust the fuel mixture

I need to know the actual P code number shown on the scan tool or code reader.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P-0173
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or P-0170

Neither of these are valid for this vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What scanner are you using and do you have the correct vehicle..? This is a 2003 330xi. Please Google the codes and see what it tells you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both of these codes are listed in the Haynes and Bentley workshop manuals for the year, make and model of my car.

The vehicle information posted is 2003 BMW 330xi. I'm referencing the factory service information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sir, I am not a factory or dealer technician and I do not have access to the factory scanner. But if you are a full time tech, I think I have given you enough information to know what I am asking. Have you Googled the P codes I suggested...?

I have the factory service information for the vehicle in front of me, searching the internet for codes not applicable to the vehicle wouldn't be beneficial. I too will leave your question open for others.

BMW Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
CHRIS ZAPANTIS

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. can you read your fuel trims with your reader? Usually on a BMW you will get this for a vacuum leak of some sort.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Chris when I get home I'll try I'm pretty sure it will
BMW Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago

Great well get to the bottom of this

BMW Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago

The first thing you can check is for vacuum in the dipstick tube shouldnt be more than 1/2 inch of vacuum. If you can feel it its propably too much.

BMW Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago

If you can hear and feel it you will need to change the crankcase ventilation valve (pcv).

BMW Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago

Write down long and short term fuel trims value for me I will check in early tomorrow morning will be on again tomorrow night.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is what I found on my Schwaben scanner. At Idle
Adaptive Mixture additive bank 1 = 0.02
Adaptive Mixture additive bank 2 = 0.03
Adaptive Mixture bank 1 = 11.7% multiplicative
Adaptive Mixture bank 2 = 12.0%
Multiplicative
Idle Adaptive w/air conditioning -1%
Idle speed integer -2.7
Air adaptive w/o drive position 0.6
Air adaptive w/ drive position 0.0
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this the information you asked for...?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Adaptive Mixture additive bank 1 = 0.02
Adaptive Mixture additive bank 2 = 0.03
Adaptive Mixture bank 2 = 12.0%
Multiplicative
Idle Adaptive w/air conditioning -1%
Idle speed integer -2.7
Air adaptive w/o drive position 0.6
Air adaptive w/ drive position 0.0
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS