Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

The flat tyre light keeps coming on when there is nothing

Customer Question

The flat tyre light keeps coming on when there is nothing wrong with the tyres. I took it to the local dealership and the mechanic has had it for 2 days trying to diagnose the problem. He cleared the code history and did a few other things, but when i drove it yesterday the light came back on
JA: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?
Customer: the flat tyre light comes on yellow, the caution light comes on yellow, the brake light flashes, the ABS light flashes and then EP comes up where D would be when its in drive
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: i just bought it second hand - so i've only had it for a month it's 2006 BMW Mini One
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No its at the BMW dealership here in Nassau
JA: OK. Got it. The BMW Mechanic is ready to discuss your question in more detail after you submit a fully-refundable {price} deposit. Anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Well just that it was fine until this past weekend. the flat tire light came on, i put air in the tires (too much air) and i took it to the dealership yesterday. they readjusted the tires pressure but when i tried to drive it, the same thing kept happening.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question can I answer for you about this? What did you want to know?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The flat tyre light keeps coming on when there is nothing wrong with the tyres. I took it to the local dealership and the mechanic has had it for 2 days trying to diagnose the problem. He cleared the code history and did a few other things, but when i drove it yesterday the light came back onthe flat tyre light comes on yellow, the caution light comes on yellow, the brake light flashes, the ABS light flashes and then EP comes up where D would be when its in drivei just bought it second hand - so i've only had it for a month it's 2006 BMW Mini Oneits at the BMW dealership here in Nassau
it was fine until this past weekend. the flat tire light came on, i put air in the tires (too much air) and i took it to the dealership yesterday. they readjusted the tires pressure but when i tried to drive it, the same thing kept happening.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I read your post. It isn't clear what our question is? Do you want to know possible causes?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just bought the car second hand - 2006 BMW Mini One
it was driving fine until one day the flat tire light came on. When i tried to drive the car with the light on - the brake light flashes, the car jerks, EP shows up on the dash and the ABS light flashes. I am unable to accelerate once this happens and the car is basically not driveable.
I would shut the car off, wait a few minutes and then restart it. No lights come on for a few minutes, then it starts all over again.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
This is an issue with the abs system - it monitors the tyre pressures, the abs/brake/traction control and will also put the transmission into EP when it working. There are many components in the abs system but this is most likely a failed wheel speed sensor or a failure of the abs control computer itself. If he issue can be replicated it should be easy for a trained tech with BMW/mini diagnostic equipment to diagnose.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.