gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Spent a couple days cleaning out the dirt from under the

Customer Question

spent a couple days cleaning out the dirt from under the hood of a 2010 328i just purchased. It was full of new jersey sand and dirt. Finished now and started up car. Ran rough and died shortly thereafter. Started again...a little better. Started third time held accellerator to about 1000RPM maybe 1500RPM and it seemed smooth enough. BAck to idle and a bit rough not too bad. Stayed running. Service engine light on...read these codes 7ec abd 7e8 just now searching for meaning. Car has only 40000 mls with no known history of issues.
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: truthfully only tried it three times but seemed better each time. like i said it stayed running the last. Thought I had better investigate codes before proceeding
JA: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I'm an engineer by trade and maintain all my vehicles. I have recently bought this first BMW for the wife but this is not my first rodeo. I fully realize that the last thing done is usually the culprit. The car should be dry. It has sat for nearly 24hrs now with no apparent "puddles". I even vacuumed out the areas that seemed to hold water. I would have expectged a misfire maybe due to that but not this catalytic converter code as defined by a generic code reader.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well you just popped up in my web search. I am good with paying a bit for some advice if skilled. My wife is not going to be all that happy. Whats the deal from hear to talk a bit more????
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What is the last 7 of the vin?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
a648237
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

thanks, ***** ***** not in a standard code format. are you able to get the car scanned with a BMW scan tool or generic obd reader?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
$7ec and $7e8 were what I had with a generic tool. I have since started the car several times. Reset the codes and the service engine light is now off. Starts good; but idle is not good. It will "feel" smooth with acclerator down a bit but misses and jerks around a bit when the idle drops back to 600 or so. I have another generic reader that I will go fetch and see if it is the same. It just acts like it is misfiring some. I will go get the other unit from upstairs and try it for different readings. If the thing had a distributor like the old days I would be pulling the cap off and checking it and the rotor button.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok different tool..more codes. I'll need a second to write them down..story changing obviously
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
10 codes stored. starting at the top...P22AA B2AAA B2A80 P22AA B2AAA B2A00 P0000 P0000 P0000 P0000 P0000 with no service engine lite on now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not doing any good trying to find these codes on line. I am going to clear and do another scan. I am obviously limited by my scan tool.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK back to ground zero. I now have only one code P00B4 I am checking the list now to see if that seems legitimate
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nope.. i dont find p00b4.....any comments?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Although not in the BMW code list I found,,,,P00B4 does appear to be a generic for coolant sensor circuit. I have had the radiator out of the car cleaning the sand out of it's face and lightly pressure washing around the engine in the car. With that information, I just reached back down around the passenger side of the radiator and pulled up a harness plug that I left disconnected. I will have to pull off a couple of covers here in the front to see just where that went. Oops! Maybe this will solve the problem although seems unlikely....will know shortly
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well,Steve, I have a pop-up here that says you have passed me off for another tech. Is that right? Surely not. I'm seeing that you are still on line.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

I'd say, judging by your find of a connector and the ECT fault, that it should be a sensor right in the lower radiator hose.

This may not necessarily be your idle issue though. If it will stay running, I would let it run at idle and listen for any hissing of a vacuum leak, that is usually what makes a poor idle as intake vacuum is highest at idle and will accentuate a leak, and also any "unmetered" air at a time when it is using so little air can really throw off the mixture.