peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I'm getting a yellow brake light, the ABS light and the 4x4

Customer Question

I'm getting a yellow brake light, the ABS light and the 4x4 light on intermittently. I'm told that these lights must remain on in order to conduct the diagnostics. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: All 3 lights are on at the same time
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2008 X3
JA: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. A dealer rep told me the lights must remain on; however, a local repair shop who has good creds said they could determine the problem because the codes are stored. Who is correct? Thanks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it. I just didn't know whether to take it locally or stick with the dealer. Thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

That is a good question,good enough to be put on an automotive test.

With these lights on this indicates that one or more fault codes are set in the anti lock brake computer and/or 4wd computer.The codes are current now since the lights are on.If the lights go off the codes will store as history codes in the computer.

This indicates that when they are current the codes can be read out and the fault can be diagnosed properly with the issue being current.

When the lights go off and the codes are history codes the codes can still be read out with a compatible scan tool but usually the diagnosis will not reveal the fault since the fault is no longer occuring.

So in other words the codes can be checked with the lights on or off but testing is best done with the lights on as the fault is present to test and locate the issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete