BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a BMW 735i 2002 i get those error code Communication

Customer Question
Hi, I have a BMW...
Hi, I have a BMW 735i 2002 i get those error code Communication with switch group steering column faulty transmission position sensor fr st col electr no plausible and gearbox faulty
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: the mecanic sayed is a electric problem he delete de code a couple of time but they appear again
JA: Are you fixing your 735i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i change to a new battery, i bought a new lever gearbox and replace it i've changed the gearbox oil
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think is enough
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
9/8/2016
BMW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

I will need the fault code number received by the shop to tell you excatly what is going on and what you need to test ?

what is the car doing now ?

what is the mileage ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Error codes:5079 Serial data bus CAN Timeout
5147 Communication with switch group steering column Faulty
50DC Transmission position sensor Msg fr st col electr not plausibleOn board display:Gearbox faulty(most of the times)
DSC sensor (faulty sometimes)
Gearbox impared(sometimes and I can drive the car)
Airbag, seatbelt no active....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what i've done so far:1.reset the error code(a couple of times)
2.change the gearbox oil
3.change the lever shifter gearbox
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
137.000 milesis showing the error message gearbox faulty can't put it in DRIVE, PARK, or REVERSE

1-have you checked battery for 12 volts

2- battery cables for corrosion or loose

3- alternator charging 14 volts with all loads on ?

what is the mileage on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1.battery was changed to a brand new one.
2. i will check
3.i will check137.000 miles
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sometimes is working, but after i stop and leave the car for 20-30 min. will not work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but very very rare when is working, i couldn't use the car for 4 months now

we have to start here, the cable corrosion is number one issue for the fail safe trans issue, the other stuff needs checking .

make sure you have ac on, headlights on, flasher radio when testing for 14 volt sat battery when running

and when you do let me know

this post will stay open between us , if you not with car now

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sure, so i need to check the cable in the boot that is connected to the battery?

yes that is correct

check & let me know please

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi,I've checked the cables today they look ok..I've attached here some pictures.Thanks,
Lucas
IMG_6599.JPGIMG_6599.JPGIMG_6600.JPGIMG_6600.JPGIMG_6601.JPGIMG_6601.JPGIMG_6602.JPGIMG_6602.JPGIMG_6603.JPGIMG_6603.JPGIMG_6604.JPGIMG_6604.JPGIMG_6605.JPGIMG_6605.JPG

hey lucas , yes everyting looks good

how is our voltage ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the voltage is varying but is around 14 volts

if you rev it up still around 14 .

trans module checked , unplug the connector & check for backed out pins making poor contact .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the trans module and how I can unplug and connect?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you have a picture where I can find it will be perfect

the control unit is internal

but you can check connector ,I make sure no oil in the connector leaking from inside to it ,i sent you pictures .

EGS Control Unit: The EGS on the 6-HP gearbox is fitted as part of the gearbox and no longer as a separate control unit in the Electronics Box. It evaluates the sensors electronically and directly activates the hydraulic unit. A temperature sensor of the EGS processor additionally monitors the gearbox temperature

just double check you have that connector , i want make sure it doesn't change in the u.s. here than u.k

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,just reply back & we can continue

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You Lucas

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat