AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 2002 Mini S bought used that I am restoring. It has

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S bought used that I am restoring. It has an issue where the EML "limp mode" kicked in and I barely made it to my mechanic. Currently he has found chafing of the wiring harness at the MAP sensor and we believe this may be my root cause. My question is .. Do I need a Full replacement harness or can the localized connector and wires be replaced and spliced into the main harness?
Category: BMW
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. If there are only a few wires that are damaged, is he not able to just replace the damaged wires? If they are damaged all the way to the connector, he could either solder the new wires right up at the connector, or buy new connector terminals and crimp the new wires to the terminals and replace the connector terminals. It's rare that you would have to replace an entire wiring harness due to some damaged wires or connectors. Is that what you were wondering?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry stiff fingers .. poor typing. Is there a tech sheet you can send with any info my mechanic may need for this fix?

There's not really a tech sheet explaining how to replace the damaged wires, but basically when he locates a damaged wire, he should cut the damaged portion out, and solder in a new section and shrink tube those solder joints to keep them protected. If he needs, I can provide him with the wiring schematics for the car if he happens to need those. but it doesn't sound as if that's what he needs. If he does end up needing to replace connector terminals, he could remove one of the terminals and bring that terminal to Napa and match them up. They have a large assortment of terminals. He would need special crimpers though to install those terminals, so if he doesn't absolutely have to replace the connector terminals, I would suggest just cutting the wire a half inch from the connector and soldering the new wire to that. If the connector is damaged, then the dealer can get you new connectors with short wire leads attached that can easily be soldered to your existing wires. I wish I had some literature for you that would illustrate this, but it's pretty simple. I'm sure he'll know what I mean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a diagram of the connector with it's color codes indicating each wire functions in case my mechanic is unable to access this data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read that a performance chip or firmware upgrade will help improve this problem also.. any thoughts?

Let me take a look for a connector diagram. If you have a shorted wire or wires, then that should be addressed first. I will look into technical service bulletins as well though. One moment.

Here is a picture of the map sensor. orange circle around it. If possible, have him check for trouble codes and let me know if there are any. I can check into it further, but here is a TSB that may help him determine the cause if the MAP sensor wire damage isn't the issue. The trouble codes though will help me make sure to get you the correct information in the event that this one doesn't pertain to your situation.

MAP SENSOR

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

Did this help at all? I just want to make sure that you have gotten the answer you came here for. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your "MAP SENSOR" & "TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN" are using Dropbox .. NOTHING was posted only a BLANK PAGE!

let me check. one minute please

they are working on my computer. I have never had that complaint before either. Try using a different browser maybe

If you'd like, I can email them to you instead

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On a different browser.. the picture looks like a different model from my model R53 2002 Cooper S. The mechanic has given up .. I have my own scanner. It is showing codes P0108, and P0113 both pointing to the map and tmap sensors. I note that the front sensor at the turbo has a crimp and opening in the (yellow-green stripe) line. Just to test a theory that it may be sending intermittent signals I "dot soldered" the spot to lock all the strands and then tested. Unplugged the motor ran fine with a strong smell of exhaust .. Plugged the motor was prone to stalling and would not run continuously. This to me says that sensor at the turbo is bad.

You are correct.

The P0113 points to the air intake temperature sensor. TMAP

The P0118 Points to the MAP sensor.

Earlier you mentioned damaged wiring. Has all that been repaired?

Here is some information on the MAP and TMAP TESTING

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it hasn't been repaired yet .. I only just today spot soldered that wire just to prove a point. Now I plan to splice in a new wire connection harness and change out both sensors. I need a diy procedure for this operation. My budget has been drained so I must do this myself.

Ok. you need the procedure to replace the sensors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send photos of my engine with the projected repair points circled if that will help you.

That may help me to better understand what you need help with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to wait until tomorrows light to get a good series and then prepare them for transmission. What is the maximum *.jpg size that the system can handle? My camera makes very large files .. usually must be cut down to 1/4 size.

I'm not sure what the maximum size is on here. I have not had anyone mention that they had to reduce the size in the past though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm talking picture in the double digit gigabit range.

if your phone takes larger than normal pictures, you may have to resize them. Only one way to find out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not phone pictures .. professional camera equipment.

oh, in that case, it may very possibly be too large. I dont know much about cameras or any of that, but once you get the pictures posted, I'll respond as soon as I can and let you know what I think about getting the wiring damage repaired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Standby till tomorrow .. then I will shoot edit and post.

sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are my pictures + a picture of my car for reference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The front sensor is the MAP and the rear is the TMAP per my information. Please advise.. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I see the 864 image was duped.

Ok. I don't see any damaged wiring, however, the last picture you provided, the one with FAE 15066 printed on it is the MAP. It looks like someone had attempted to replace this since the bolt is broken. The end of the broken bolt is rusty, so this was probably attempted a while ago and I assume that they decided not to replace the sensor since they had broken a bolt and were probably afraid of breaking the other bolt. That's the impression I get from the picture

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the rear sensor is the MAP then I assume the one at the front is the TMAP? It looks like the TMAP is just a bolt on and plug in device. The rear MAP is looking more difficult and appears to be mounted on some kind of bracket that must be removed for replacement. I will need information so that I may remove and replace both of these sensors and cut and solder on a new connector for the front TMAP using heat shrink tubing for water proofing and chafe protection. If all of this procedure is done then I assume I must direct the car's computer to remap all systems to bring them properly on line. A smaller problem I believe is the fact that my horn an the rear wiper are inoperative although the fuses are good. That will be next on my list.

I am going to have to open this for the other experts. For the time being, I have access only to my phone which is very difficult to work on and no access to diagrams or anything else. Sit tight and someone will likely be by shortly to further assist you. Sorry about that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another note ... I have been going over my mechanic's notes and I find the MAP sensor was replaced. The sensor at the front of the turbo does look new (_DSC0864.LG.JPG) and he complained that he was getting "impossibly high psi" readings in the range of 3400 where the specs should be 16. What interaction does the TMAP have with the MAP when interpreted by the computer? It may have been damaged previously as evidenced by the "broken" bolt. I need to get the replacement procedure so that I know it has been done right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting.. Please help my family is in a serious transportation bind. My mechanic after $2k has given up on this little problem which to my mind is only changing out the MAP sensor (rear position) and check for vacuum leaks in the line leading to it. I have a picture of the location. I need any tips from an expert so that I may DIY this job.

I had a medical emergency, sorry about that. I'm also sorry nobody tried to assist you when I had opened it back up. I was hoping someone would have been able to help you get this resolved. Since nobody was able, I will do my very best. I believe the picture you provided here is the MAP sensor. I will give you all the information I have on the MAP sensor. Hopefully it will help you. If you would like, I can get you everything related to the TMAP as well.

MAP REPLACEMENT

TMAP REPLACEMENT

LOCATIONS

DESCRIPTION

TESTING

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update .. I have parts coming and advanced diagnostic software for my laptop that can provide you with more info. Please standby. Thanks Bill Remick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plan to replace the mounting bracket for the MAP sensor mounted on the engine due to apparent rusting. I see that there is very little space to remove the bracket and replace the sensor & other mounted items on the bracket. There are large hoses to what I assume is the air filter box nearby.. this is what I believe must be removed for better access to the mounting bolt. If I am wrong please correct me in any case a disassembly procedure would be most helpful so that I may not run afoul of any settings or calibrations already in place. Thanks Bill Remick

Here is what I have for the air filter housing.

AIR CLEANER HOUSING REMOVAL

How did it go?

Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 10 months ago.

.