Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2012 X5. This morning, it started to lose power

Customer Question

I have a 2012 X5. This morning, it started to lose power even when my foot does not leave the accelerator. It also lurched during stops even when my foot stays on brake. The engine light turned on shortly after. It only has 55k. Any insight on what is wrong? Thanks!
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: It has not stalled yet, but it came close. I just had this problem today, so I did not get a chance to have a diagnostic test (unless this is something that my car can do on its own). Last time I drove it was a couple of days ago with no issues.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix it myself. Hoping that this is not an engine issue and that the sensors are just going crazy. Any insight will be helpful.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it for now. It is too new. So far, I have only driven it to work (around 10 miles).
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what engine variant does the car have?
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

hello? are you able to confirm if the vehicle is 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Steve! 6 cylinder.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

thank you. can you please clarify what exactly your question is about this? what information are you seeking from me?

also, what diagnostics have been carried out?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No diagnostics have been done yet. This is something that happened very recently. I just wanted to know if you have any insights on what is wrong with the car.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I plan to take the car to the dealer today. I'd like to know that they are not telling me to pay for a repair that is unnecessary.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
The engine light is the only warning?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The rest of the check light and vehicle status info are ok.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

unfortunately the check engine warning and symptoms you have described unfortunately are not specific. The check engine light is only intended to serve as a driver warning and in fact has about 200 different triggers. When the light comes on, the car's computer logs a record of the issue which can be read from the car with a diagnostic scanner.

.

the most common issues on your engine variant are a failing fuel pump, failing injectors, carbon build up or failing turbos. In order to verify the underlying cause the car will need to be scanned with a scan tool. This will enable a full diagnosis and proper corrective action to be taken.

.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.