Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have an 86 E30 I installed a new fuse panel and I now need

Customer Question

I have an 86 E30I installed a new fuse panel and I now need to go through the wiring to get everything working properly after some circuits have failed.I need the aid of someone with auto electrical experience who can help me find and repair the circuits.Anyone up to this task with me?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Steve,The two bus wires over heated coming into my fuse panel. The PCB board got fried and I bought a new panel from BMW which is listed as the correct part even though it is not the original part number***********The new part is PN***********
I drew up a diagram of all the wires. I removed The fuse clips and installed them in order in the new fuse panel. I removed the Relay wires and moved the to the new panel.Here is the history.I started smelling the over heated wires in the box. The box was very hot. Many circuits got disconnected by the fried PCB. The main Bus wire was corroded on the exposed crimped end and it appears the wire fired out where it bolts to the PCB.After replacing the Fuse panel I have most of the circuits working, many that fired are back up and running. But several critical circuits are out. The AC, Blower, Radio and the clock controls are out. The clock lights up at 12:00 and will not set.The Aux fan is a mystery. It runs full speed from the key. The AC switch off. I disconnected the Radiator switches and it still runs.I was dealing with Marty on JA and have known Marty on here or years. He was short on time these days and though I have moved to the open form I have a list of things we went through.The Aux fan shuts off on fuse 18. The K5 Relay also disconnects the Aux fan. We did no get into tracking down the other issues. Marty asked me to check the Yellow/black wires going to K5 and 7 for ground. they are grounded.Marty says the Aux fan should be on another relay. So it is a mystery as to why.I am concerned that the fuse panel is not correct and the internal config it different from the original panel.OK,this is as complete as I can get on the fuse panel. One other issue I'd like to get corrected is my windshield washer is not working. the pump is not getting current.P
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

hi, it will be difficult to walk though this online. What I do have is the factory BMW full-vehicle wiring manual for this car - the most detailed and specific wiring information for this car that contains every circuit, wire color, component location, pin out, etc. It is 125 pages and again in the factory BMW document - nothing better exists. I propose that I can email you this document for a very fair incremental charge given its value rather than trying to step though this in a clunky fashion online. I am not able to post this document publically for obvious reasons so an additional charge is required to enable email delivery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thanks,Please release the thread
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
my offer is still open if you would like the document
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't need a schematic I needed expertise.I already had the schematicI finally got Marty to go through the Relays with me and I found my mistake in the process.I do not like replies that go straight to selling me something, in most cases it is not worth it.I have dealt with Marty for 5 years and he's never tried to sell me diagrams and schematics that are available online.Im not impressed with such a reply,Good Day,I'm going to go drive my car.