BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2004 BMW X5 AC system with new compressor is not working

Customer Question
right...
2004 BMW X5 AC system with new compressor is not working right
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
8/24/2016
BMW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

is it not cooling good ?

or the blower inside cabin not blowing ?

are the Freon levels up to specs, how did you charge the Freon in the vehicle ,using an ac machine or a standards gauges ,with a can of Freon ,did you pull a vacuum on it ?

was the compressor & drier replaced at same time, what was the reason the compressor was changed leaking or it locked up , was the system flushed if it locked up?

is the compressor & ac fan coming on ?

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Here are all the details
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are actually a repair facility for imports and usually have an answer but i am stock with this one.
replaced the ac compressor
replaced the drier ans flushed the condenser
pulled the vacuum to -30 system held it with no problem
recharged the system
45 psi on the low and around 220 on the high but is only blowing at about 70 degrees inside and the low side hose doest feel as cold as it should.

Hey that is not a problem , i got those sometimes, have a shop myself.

1- is the condenser fan running correctly, is it increasing speed when the a/c compressor is engaged

2-what is the Engine Coolant Temp sensor showing for temp on your scanner on live data stream while running & a/c running

3- how long you waited on the vacuum after - 30 , 1 minute 5 minutes ,10 minutes etc..?

4- Was the Freon level checked again , or first time you installed the system kept cooling around 70 till now ?

5- What happens to the 45 psi on low & 220 on high if you rev it up a little ?

2004 BMW X5 (E53) L6-3.0L (M54)

Save Article

Electric Fan Under certain operating conditions, the engine control activates the electric fan at various speeds. The electric fan is activated by means of a power output stage directly on the fan motor. The motor control module activates this power output stage by means of a square-wave signal with duty factors (variable pulse width) between 10 and 90 % thus controlling the various speeds of the electric fan. Pulse duty factors less than 5 % and greater than 95 % do not trigger activation but rather they are used for fault detection purposes. The power output stage features its own positive and ground supply. The fan speed is influenced by the coolant temperature at the radiator outlet and the pressure in the air conditioning system. The fan speed is reduced as the vehicle speed increases.

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Was evacuated and recharged with digital gauges from ac machine
compressor was replaced because it would only kick on after engine reached warm temperature
, the condensers was flushed but not the expansion valve or evaporator

ok i got you

where the ac readings taken when old compressor was still on vehicle ,when it kicked in after vehicle warmed up , do you rember the high side reading then and low side ?

what is the temp sensor value?can you check please

this compressor not kicking in only on hot temp,make me suspect the coolant sensor, can you check it on scanner

or get another and check & compare resistance with ohm meter

what is the mileage on it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fan is also brand new and is working perfect i can see and hear it come on and change speeds according to the temperature.
Waited about 30 min after pulled the vacuum before i recharged it.
when the car came in the system would work perfect after the engine got warm but now with the new compressor it comes on right away but just not cold. it has around 120k

if all above was replaced then ,that is what i think is going on .

The 220 is high , you need to see 150 ,175 psi tops

so that leaves , expansion valve & condenser & evap, if there is clog up .

Unless you got a bad ( new a/c compressor),was that a reman unit ,advance auto ,auto zone worldpac etc... or used one ?

and it is not pulling it down to 35 psi on the low side .

what is the outside temperature where you are at now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
outside temperature is about 80 or so, the compressor is brand new from 1800 radiators.
when i bring the low to 35 psi the high drops to about 175 psi but i have the same problem

ok same problem when revved up

but drops to 175 , but still not cooling .

then

1-there is one possibility if there is a broken blend door inside the heater box, that is stuck 1/2 way, but the a/c module will show the actuator error,did you scan the ac module .

the only way to check this door is to take heater box out

2- or

I will start with expansion valve first ,then condenser then evap.

I will check and see if after the expansion valve change , the high drops below 220 to 175.

if it does and works great, if it does and get better , then continue to condenser.

it does not make sense, since the other was not locked up, but we cant be sure of what prior repair was done and how the cooling was .

there is nothing left that would cause it

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will put the gauges on and try that and will give you more detail. I dont think is the doors because the car came in blowing super cold after car was warm. what i think is weird is that all the numbers look good on the gauges but the low ac line is not getting as cold as it should

yes let me know

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so i Got 35 on the low and about 200 on the high and ac is blowing at about 75 degrees. when i rev it up the low side drops to about 25 and the high goes up to about 240 and it blows at about 68 degrees. low side hose feels some what cold but not the way it should

check Freon again , i would , just to be sure the charge is correct, do it after ac off and let it settle for 15 minutes

the 240 ,if freon levels are okay, that tells me a restriction is most likely here not a weak compressor .unless it starts going close the 20 15 psi on low i will suspect compressor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Freon checked out fine

ok , if you feel compressor is good move the expansion valve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was trying to stay away from the valve because it seems to be a big job. should i try to flush it?

flushing want help, trust me i tried that before

it calls for 2.7 hours job, not that bad i guess :)

2004 BMW X5 (E53) L6-3.0L (M54)

Save Article

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Expansion Valve

Expansion Valve

Without ATC

64116939313 $251.00

With ATC

64116981454 $172.07

Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Replace

B 2.7 labor hour

Does Not Include: Refrigerant Recovery Or Evacuate & Recharge AC System.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for that answer, Just got the expansion valve in today and will be installing it tomorrow. I also have another question on the same car. I replaced the Brake booster and the master cylinder and now I am trying to bleed the system but it seems like is not getting enough pressure to the calipers. any ideas

You welcome :)

Please Don't forget to rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated

If you need more info on the brake booster , just start another question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY ) or Go to my profile and Press (The Request This expert again) Tab

are you bleeding thru the scanner , you have to use the bleeding function of the scanner ( it will be under the DSC unit Service procedure in the scanner list ) so it will release the valve for oil flow.

or you doing it manually ?

2004 BMW X5 (E53) L6-3.0L (M54) Save Article Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) OnlyBleeding brake system with DSCRead and comply with General Information.
Remove heater bulkhead.Observe filling and bleeding instructions when replacing or repairing:
- Brake master cylinder
- Hydraulic unit
- Components and connecting lines which are fitted between these assemblies.
- Precharging pump
After work has been carried out on the precharging pump, only the front-axle brake circuit has to be bled. Before flushing the brake system, activate the precharging pump once with the Diagnosis and Information System (DIS) (bleeder unit connected with max. 2 bar filling pressure).
- Connect DIS.
- Call up service function "Bleeding DSC Hydraulics".- Connect brake fluid changer to expansion tank and switch ON.Note:
Check relevant operating instructions for each device.
Charging pressure must not exceed 2 bar.
Flushing brake system completely
Attach bleed hose with container to bleed valve on rear right brake caliper.
Open bleed valve and flush until clear, bubble-free brake fluid emerges.
Close bleeder valve.
Follow same procedure on wheel brakes rear left, front right and front left.Bleeding rear-axle brake circuit
Open bleed valve.
Allow bleeding procedure with DIS to take its course with bleed valve open.
After procedure is completed, press brake pedal down fully 5 times; clear, bubble-free brake fluid must emerge.
Close bleeder valve.
Repeat procedure at rear left.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi chad sorry that I have not been able to close this case but I am still having problems with the ac system, I installed the valve, installed a new condenser, flushed the evaporator and i am still dealing with the same problem. the low side line is not getting cold enough, when i first started the system i was getting reading of 64 degrees on drivers side and about 54 on the passenger

hey how are you ,no problem

I m sorry to hear that , the 64 is not cooling , 54 is better .

what is the low side and high running now after expansion valve replacement ,any lower on high or no change ?

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
35 on the low and 180 to 190 on the high
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if i get the low to 45 or so the high jumps to about 230

there is nothing left other than condenser & evap that cause a high side pressure .

i m surprised , since no lock up occurred on ac compressor .

was the expansion valve clean when removed and metal shavings

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has a brand new condenser, there was no metal on the valve and the evaporator flushed with perfect flow, it there a way that the compressor can be bad or is maybe the wrong specs??

be honest with you man , i never ran into one just like that situation ,especially low is 35 and high is 220 and compressor turned out to be bad but

you said compressor is new and that is what you got from 1-800

did you compare with old before you gave it back as core, everything lined and hooked up the same as the one you took off.

i had a few (Bad New good ones )that were the issue here , the only thing is the gauge dont show it ,you said it pulls down to 35 on low

that is what i dont get .

your are in to deep now on it, i guess the compressor is under warranty get another one ,you will only be losing labor not parts

and if it works, you can charge customer and if it doesn't , it want change anything from where you are now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all the lines looked the same and plug was also perfect fit. Ok will change the compressor on Monday and see what i get. I am lost on this one

Please let me know , I like to see if the compressor fix it, good luck

sorry i cant be more of help on it

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is whent the recirculating button is on, when i turn it off the evaporator temperature goes up to 70+

The evaporator temp is at 58.28 ,we are not cooling for sure

all the other values look good,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changing the compressor today but by any chance do you think it could be the HCV??

you mean the heating valve .or hvac module you mean ,i dont think so

i m still stuck at the high side 220 reading

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Heating Valve
Let me ask you this ,if you turned it on heat does it work correctly
I Seen on the scanner screen shit that the heating valve switching time is zero
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the heater seems to be working fine, getting about 93 coming out of the vents

i dont think valve is an issue then

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Installed a new compressor today and I am getting the exact same things. gets colder when press the recirculating button but about 70 degrees when is depressed. I spayed some water on the condenser and the high side dropped to about 150 and it now seats at about 180 to 200 and the low is at about 35 to 40. what can I do next

when you mentioned the cooling increases if recirculation is on, i m wondering if we have a bad, or stuck blend door or blend door actuator

but your scanner showed showed it .

what was the mileage again , i rarely see broke blend doors unless we have high mileage .i think i replaced twice in 10 years on one

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
120k miles
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get around 55 degress to come out of the vents when the re circulation button is on

if you hook up the scanner again and look up same reading

and look up the heating valve switching time, if you run it and give it gas ,does that value changes

is that valve turn on interminably

the 55 out of the vents is descent

do you hear any funny noise under dash ,actuator moving and clicking after you shut off car ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No funny noises and this one is the one with out dual tem control control so is all manual

oh is it .

well manual controls is more likely cable or door

I think i seen one or 2 manual before , does the control in back of that unit cables or still electrical connectors

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cables

follow those cable please to the box and see if any are loose or detached

THAT WHAT YOU HAVE IN THE DIAGRAM I SENT YOU

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am getting a code (E) IHKR auxiliary water pump

The IHKR has manual controls to operate the vents, whereas in the IHKA everything works electrically.

That is the whole unit

the IHKRA UNIT ( WILL BE THE AUTO ONE ), that is the unit in the dash

i never ran into this one but it also , it is manual controls but electrically controlled !

how may connector in back of that unit

where did you read IHKR auxiliary water pump

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are 3 plugs on the back of the control unit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All the info I am sending you are the current pics from my scanner
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure if the aux water pump is working, I see that the scanner keeps saying that is off

give straight power to it and see if it will run,

it should only run when the heat is on, but let see what we have

it should have a 2 pin connector

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat