Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My BMW wants to shift gears while driving but cant, The BMW

Customer Question

My BMW wants to shift gears while driving but cant
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The BMW is a 95 740il and I'm not sure where the beach switch is
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am and I tried putting it in reverse to build up oil pressure in the case. Then put it in drive to see if it will shift
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** need anymore information to help

yes what ever you have done to it so far if any ,and any history will help

Thank You

what is the mileage ?

has the transmission been serviced ?

is there any check engine light on ?

has a diagnostic scan been done and retrieved any fault?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I SEE A PHONE CALL REQUEST FROM YOU ON MY SCREEN ,DO YOU WANT ME TO CALL YOU OR YOU HIT KEY FOR REQUEST BY MISTAKE ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I hit the button on mistake. The mileage on the car is 209,000. The transmission has been looked at. The BMW has a obd1 port so no codes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also no check engine light

ok cool just ignore it .

one secone i be right back i want to send yiu a location for a module to check

did it happen suddenly ?

or it gradually started doing that ?

Component ID A8600, Transmission Control Module (AGS) Connector ID X8600, Connector (88 Pin, Natural) Location Rear RH Side Of Engine Compartment In E-Box

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
From the guy I bought it from it was slipping for a little bit then would shift after that. I test drove it and it felt that it wanted to shift and was slipping

that trans module are know of going bad

but if you have slippage , check fluid level or replace , if problem stayed , than it is internal .

if you changed fluid & that fixed slipping but is still getting suck in gear then replacing the trans module will fix that problem

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is the trans dip stick on my 95 BMW 740il

It does not have one like you used to on other vehicle .

It has A Darin & A filer Plug , I sent you a picture diagram ti identify .

and the checking procedure .

PROCEDURE Fluid Level Checking Procedure for all Transmissions without a Dipstick: 1. The transmission temperature must be between 30°C and 50°C before checking can begin. Use the DIS or the MODIC to determine the transmission temperature. 2. The vehicle must be level and without load. With the engine running, switch on the air conditioning. This will increase the idle speed and ensure that all oil passages in the transmission are filled with oil. 3. Step on the brake firmly, apply parking brake fully and move the selector lever through each gear position, pausing briefly in each gear. 4. With the engine running and the selector lever in Park position, remove the filler plug located on the transmission (see picture for location). If a small stream of oil runs out, the fluid level is correct. 5. If no oil runs out when the filler plug is removed, the fluid level is too low. Add oil until it starts to overflow. 6. With the engine running, reinstall the oil filler plug and tighten to proper torque. (Refer to section below for proper tightening torque)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** alot

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back And Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have.

Thank You

Chad Farhat