BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a question. Recently the engine on my 2012 S went

Customer Question
Hello, I have a question...
Hello, I have a question. Recently the engine on my 2012 Cooper S went into limp mode and shows a symbol that indicates the engine is at half power. I took the car to autozone and they ran a computer diagnostic on it. They said Cylinder #3 needed a coil pack and spark plug. I changed both the coil pack spark plug but the engine does exactly the same thing. It has a shake and runs with little power. I just disconnected the coil pack on each of the cylinders and the engine ran even worse. When I disconnected the coil pack on #3 the engine ran the same. Seems like there is definitely a problem at cylinder #3. Anything else I can check or trouble shoot?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
8/11/2016
BMW Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

have you checked compression?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I changed coil pack and spark plug which is what the diagnostic check said to do on cylinder #3. I have had coil packs go bad on other cars and this feels very similar. Feels electrical. Are there any other electrical components I should check? I am less familiar with newer cars. the engine started shaking suddenly on the way back from a short local drive. This is not something that happened over time.

what was the code? cylinder 3 missfire?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure I have the exact code. I will check my paper work tomorrow and get back to you.

ok

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been out of town. Will continue to look at this problem during the week.

k

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. Cylinder #3 doesn't seem to be getting power to the coil. What feeds power to the coil? I need to back track from the coil to see what is happening.

you will need to trace it back to the ecm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it possible that it is the ECM? Is replacing the ECM a DIY job?

ecm is not a diy job

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, did you have a chance to look at the pictures I sent you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you take a look at my he images I sent you?

i dont see that as a valid code but

eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy