BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I can't get the gas tank to fill. The nozzle keeps shutting

Customer Question
I can't get the gas...
I can't get the gas tank to fill. The nozzle keeps shutting off and I'm out even at half a tank. I know I saw on line before how to fix this, but I can't seem to find those posts anymore. Do you know who I can findd the instructions on how to repair this?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No, it seems to go thru the same amount of gas as always, and it starts just fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 750i 07
JA: What year is your 750i?
Customer: 07
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I was going to try and do this myself. Thus far, I have done nothing.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have a message lights on the dash board that states the drivers side safety something or other needs to be checked. The symbol looks like a person with an airbag going off
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/6/2016
BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

hello

this sounds like the charcoal cannister that the tank fumes vent through may be choked up

they don't last forever and need to be replaced every 100K miles

the cannister is located behind rear passenger side inner wheel well next to the filler neck. It actually runs directly above the inner fender well at the highest point in the opening.

1. First -jack up the rear of the car and place on jack stands.

2. remove passenger side rear tire.

3. Next you will see several plastic screws some are screw in push pins plastic style. Along with 2 nuts, 10mm and then several smaller I think 6mm bolts that hold the inner fender well in place. Unbolt all of these.

4. There is also a plastic housing that hold 2 wires open this up and unplug the 2 wires

5. then pry out the plastic holder from inner wheel well, and then simply pull out the inner fender or just move it out of the way.

6 you should see the cannister connected to another large blk part. There are 2 silver screws , unbolt these 2 screws and it should be freed up and able to be lowered to unclamp hoses

7. There are 3 hoses connected. The 1st us actually on the other side of the cannister and the other end has 2 as seen in the pix. The solo hose you have to lift the clamp and then can slide the hose off.

8. There are still 2 more hoses they are clipped in. The larger has a ring you have to squeeze and raise up, and the smaller one has2 buttons you push and pull it off.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer