JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  12 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

I am trying to replace the valve cover gasket on my 2005

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to replace the valve cover gasket on my 2005 545i. I am struggling with getting the valve cover off. All screws and bolts have been removed and the cover is loose. However, the eccentric shaft sensor seems to be getting in the way. Do I need to take if off? Thanks.
Category: BMW
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Are you replacing the left or the right side gasket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The passengers side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no room to get it out. Any particular angle that I could try? Or should I try to reach under the cover and remove the sensor?

the servo motor for the eccentric shaft will need to be removed. If you would like, I can provide you with detailed instructions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the servo motor. All cables, connectors and screws are off. The cover is absolutely loose and I can completely lift it up. I just can't get it to slide out as it gets stuck because of the sensor and there is no room in engine bay to the move the cover and more backwards or up.

Please let me know if this helps you.

VALVE COVER GASKET PROCEDURE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have access to the workshop manual. It's just that the engine is a very tight fit and the instructions don't demonstrate the actual removal of the cover.

alright. Take a look at what I have here as it's likely more descriptive than what you've got. If not please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have those instructions and have followed all of them. I am stuck on sliding the cover off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to remove the sensor? Can I just pull it out?

You may. without being there to personally attempt it, and since I can't say I have replaced one in the very recent months, I can't say for sure but if it absolutely won't come out no matter how you try and manuver it then you probably will have to remove the sensor. I do believe that it will not come out unless the cover is removed unless you are able to get in there to do it.

SENSOR

If that still doesn't help, I can opt out in case someone here who has done one recently and can recall the "trick" is able to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I have that document as well. I was hoping there is some sort of a trick to removing the cover (front first or back first). Reaching under the cover to remove the sensor would be a pain but would be a last resort. Any tips on maneuvering the cover?

it's very common to have to do a lot of twisting and maneuvering to get valve covers and other components removed from modern engine compartments. Off hand though I am not able to think of the "trick" to getting this thing out. I was hoping something contained within those files would hold the answer to that question. Since it's been a while since I have been under the hood of a 545, I am going to opt out and hopefully somebody here will have the answer that will help you. Sorry I wasn't able to help you get it removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

yes thats the one behind power steering bracket.

sorry, i meant that for another customer

Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.
Hi, do you still need assistance with removing the valve cover?-JP