BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Thanks pearl. i have a 2007 bmw 525 xi that i just drove

Customer Question
thanks pearl. i have...
thanks pearl. i have a 2007 bmw 525 xi that i just drove about 2000 miles cross country no problem. I made a stop for a couple of days and didn't start the car. when I came back the tire was flat and the battery drained. gave me error of steering column locked, which i attribted to a power problem. I jumstarted the car and rode it fine for another 500 miles that same day. the next morning it gave me a battery rapidly discharging message, a power steering fault message, and a service soon message, which I attributed to the battery. it is clear something is wrong with the battery-even after driving around at freeway speeds for 10-20 minutes, it barely has enough juice to start. Now after all of this, it is giving me a P316a diagnostic message. I am planning to hit the road for another 2000 miles within a few days and would like to know if I can fix this myself
JA: How many miles are on the tires?
Customer: tires are brand new. just about 2k.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I jumpedstarted the car, repaired the tire and rebalanced them. i've just started diagnosing the issue with a obd right now. the p316a error is the only one that comes up, with the battery problem persisting
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
7/15/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
Whether you can fix it yourself depends on the underlying cause
If just the battery you can replace the battery although the car should be programmed after battery replacement to charge and monitor the new battery correctly
If the issue is the alternator or belt, whether you can repair it yourself or not depends on your skill and equipment level
If the issue is a fault with the battery monitoring electronics or other nefarious electrical drain you likely will not be able to fix it yourself
As a next step you should have the alternator and battery tested and ideally the faults read from the car with a factory BMW scan tool rather than just a p code reader which cannot reliably diagnose anything more than the most basic of emissions issues
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert