Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

It will not go in drive but will go in reverse, 2004 330ci,

Customer Question

It will not go in drive but will go in reverse
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2004 330ci
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. It did overheat after the fanbelt broke a few weeks ago, my uncle fixed that and replaced the fan clutch too. Cleaned the radiator and replaced hoses. It had a slight hesitation going into drive before that incident but always drove fine once it was warmed up.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: There seems to be no leaks
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What is the vin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wbabd53414pl10516
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.
thanks for providing the vin.

.

on this model, unless you have the shift linkage binding up physically preventing you from putting the shifter into reverse, then the issue is internal to the transmission - either a loss of fluid pressure (low fluid, bad internal seal, etc), a bad solenoid, or a bad clutch drum. the transmission will need to be opened at a minimum to verify, and likely a full rebuild will be in order at that point.

.

sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, but I trust that my honestly is appreciated.
.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.