Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have a 2008 BMW 535xi that is blowing warm air out of the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 BMW 535xi that is blowing warm air out of the defrost vents up top and feet vents and cold air out of the center vents when the ac is set to the coldest setting. Need assistance.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it, thank you

there is small actuator motors that moves the air blend door inside your dash when you select max setting?

is there a check engine light on ? and can you have it scanned , in this year model bmw , we can go in the a/c module and run a test on it , recalibrate

and actually command each actuator by itself to see if it is working ?

do you hear any ticking noise coming from inside dash ?

does the condition happens each time you got to max setting and only max setting .?

please let me know

Thank You

Chad ASE Certified Technician

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light is on for two misfires, cylinders 2 and 6.I hear no clicking.On max setting the other defrost bent and feet vents stop blowing and the dash vents get slightly warmer. When max a.c. is off the dash vents get cooler and the defrost and floor vents blow hot air.

ok 2 misfires , but no a/c module fault codes, where the car scanned by dealer scanner or equivalent , or just using the engine code reader if i may ask ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Snap On Modus Ultra scanner with Euro software installed

ok i got you

what is the mileage ?

give me sometime , i need to look up the circuit on this one , since we have no faults .

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
89790

ok great thank you

anything else you can think off, as far as any prior work done that could be related to this .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can call and ask the customer. I believe he said the water pump and/or thermostat were replaced a couple of months back.

What special function does list in your scanner under IHKA module ?

1- it is working correctly at max speed all function including the defrost will deactivated by design .

2- I sent you the link to read the description of operation on max setting

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

you said about it is getting warmer at middle vents also, if that is the case , I will check the Freon charge levels or just do an a/c service on your a/c machine .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the correct IHKA control unit that is in this car.When the ac is turned ON cold air comes out of center vents and hot air comes out at feet and defrost vents. When MAX AC is pressed the air gets warmer at the center vents but is still somewhat cool and the hot air is no longer coming out of the feet or defrost vents.

What happens when you press the re circulation button ,anything changes ?

Can we check Freon ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 degree cooler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temp at center vent is 63 degrees at max cool it's at 68 degrees farenheit.

ok, how about the freon can we check , do you have a set of gauges , what is the low side reading 20 to 50 psi while running ?

and the high side how high is going up passed 175 ?

63 and 68 is low ? is this car inside shop in cool or outside in the sun when taking those readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
High side is 203 low side 43.

it can be a Little better, can you run an a/c service Recover, evacuate ,vacuum 45 min and recharge to specs , and see if these number changes , before we think about IHKA unit problem.

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did an a/c service. No difference.

IHKA unit will be what is left .But lack of codes concern me

what kind test can you run on it with your scanner ?

hey how are you

did you get it fixed or you like more help on it

please just let me know

Thank You

Chad (aka -Customer