BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2003 745li hood latch is broken. How can I get the hood

Customer Question
open JA: Are you hoping to...
2003 745li hood latch is broken. How can I get the hood open
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 2 days by:
7/10/2016
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming it's actually the cable that's broken rather than the latches, the hood would have to be open to determine that the problem was with the latches themselves.

To get the hood open you're going to need to access the latches, locate the linkage where the release cable attaches and move the linkage manually to get the hood to release. The best way to do this will be to come up from underneath with the car supported on jack stands, front wheels removed, and inner fender liners out. You can try going up from the bumper cover area but it shoudl be easier to remove the fender liners.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician