BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 2009 Mini that is overheating, I have checked the

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hi. What is your...
Hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a 2009 Mini Cooper that is overheating
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: I have checked the coolant and I'm having to add it frequently. I can't find a leak but I do see fluid and it's clearly leaking.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Also the fan in the front doesn't appear to be turning on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The yellow engine light is on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
6/21/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

how quickly does the car overheat from cold start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. It's running rough (this just started after the coolant light came on the other day) and the yello engine light came on and hasn't turned back off

hi, can you answer my question? how quickly does it overheat from cold start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very quickly

I am not sure what that means. 1min? 5min? 90min?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry. I would say 10 minutes.

okay. got it. what exactly was your question about this? you have said that coolant is leaking and the engine is overheating - what can I tell you about this? what did you want to know?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was wondering if this would be something that I would be able to possibly fix, as in maybe it was a fan issue or a fuse?

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

unfortunately no.

.
it is definitely not a fuse. a leak cannot be a fuse.

.
if the fan never comes on this can be due to a bad sensor or a bad fan. this may or may not be something which you are able to fix yourself, I can't really say as i dont know your skill level or equipment level. 90% of owners would not replace this themselves

.
if the engine is overheating that quickly, you may have a blown head gasket so this will need to be tested for asap.

.
as for the leak, if you cannot visually identify it then the cooling system will need to be pressure tested with engine and underbody shielding removed to localize the leak source. This cannot be done at home.

.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert