Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

The light next to the P on the shifter does not go out it is

Customer Question

The ***** *****ght next to the P on the shifter does not go out it is a 2007 525i I just bought
JA: How old is your battery? When was the last tune up?
Customer: Got it from the BMW dealer 2 months ago as a used car it was serviced by them
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I looked on several forums and it seems this is common my son has been driving it this is the first time I noticed it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am trying to see if this is really a problem some on the forums say this is normal for the light to stay on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: No its in great shape garaged for ten years with only 54000 mi on it, well taken care of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Is there any other symptom besides the light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

this can be indicative of the car not going into "sleep mode" which can lead to the battery being drained by a parastic draw

.

however this is not always the case. If nothing else is happening and the battery is not being drained, then there really isn't anything to worry about.

..

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand I have a 2016 Denali with sleep mode issues. I understand sleep mode . Multiple forums on this has said this is normal that the light does not go out . My only question is is this normal
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

yes it is fine, as long as the battery is not wearing down.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

please do not forget to click on a positive rating.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's not the question. is this normal behavior or is this an elecrical fault. Ignore it if it is not causing a problem is not a yes or no answer. It sound like this is not normal behavior. Sorry but I make a living working with electronic equipment and computers so I really need an exact answer. Unfortunately the BMW dealer is 90 miles away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not trying to be rude but all I need to know is , Yes normal behavior, No not normal behavior or I don't know. Good night I need to be at work early
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the answer is this: it is normal on some cars. on other cars it is indicative of a sleep mode issue. the only way to know if it is an issue or not is to monitor draw, invest in a power diagnostic at a dealer, or wait and see if the battery wears down. you have said that the battery does not wear down, so I would conclude you have no issue. I cannot change the proximity of your dealer, unfortunately.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
usually it is not normal, but if you have no draw, there is no issue and it is nothing to worry about.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
.