BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

R52: , in my 2005 R52, when i turn on AXC, it blows cold

Customer Question
hi, in my 2005 R52...
hi, in my 2005 R52, when i turn on AXC, it blows cold air out the floor board and dash vents... not the AC vents. what could be the problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
5/5/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

hello.

.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked..

.

you have asked, what could be the problem?

,

the answer is that there are a few things that can cause this. the first is a simple low Freon level. the second is an issue with the air directing blend doors behind the dash, and the third (least likely) is an issue with the actual climate control computer malfunctioning. This system is pretty complex so the best way to diagnose and eliminate guess work would be to have a proper test plan run with a BMW/MINI scan tool. If you need a shop for this check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org

.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do not have BMW... i have a mini

I know that. that is why I said a BMW/MINI scan tool and directed you to the best repository of BMW/MINI specialists

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do they test it to diagnose the problem? how much does the test cost?

BMW is the bigger service business, there are no mini-only specialists. most BMW specialists also know and work on minis

and all of the diagnostic equipment is the same, which is why the two sites I recommended - despite focusing on BMW - are your best chance at finding a qualified and experienced non dealer that can handle this problem

they test for this by plugging in a diagnostic computer and monitoring all readings in the AC system (all inputs and output readings) and then can also manully command things to happen from the diagnostic computer to see which actually happen or which don't.

the diagnostic computer will the generate further tests based on outcomes of initial testing

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
one more thing... i have a code reader. i read there are codes generated by the mini that can give me a clue as to what's going on. do you know where i can locate the codes? thank you...

unless you have a BMW/MINI only code reader that costs $1000+, then unfortunately it will not read any codes related to this. Basic consumer readers only read out emissions impacting faults when the check engine light is on.

if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what are the codes i've been reading about?? i read about an on board diagnostic built into the mini.

I am not sure what you have read but there are no on-board diagnostic codes that can be read out to address this issue except by using a high end scanner as I have described.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
on the mini forum. they say this""the system has three modes. MODE1 - Shows any fault codes stored in the system. MODE2 - performs a calibration run of the doors that control mix and air distribution. MODE3 - provides for manual operation of the features. useful to diagnose the automatic A/C systems that BMW refers to as IHKA"

that is not a legitimate diagnostic process

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
whatever...

the faults need to be read

feel free to follow the instructions that are posted online, they will not lead to a resolution, I can assure you.

as the question "what could be the problem? " has been fully answered, please click on a rating of 3 stars or higher.

thank you in advance.

.
.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i had to dig around for instructions on how to diagnose what could be wrong... i'm posting them here for anyone else whose AC on their Mini goes whacky. it will give one an idea of what's wrong BEFORE taking it for repair; otherwise they can say anything to get more $$.i received no help here & terminated membership.IHKA On Board Diagnosis
The on board diagnostics function is a special feature of the IHKA that provides three test modes:
 Mode 1 - Read fault memory
 Mode 2 - Calibration run
 Mode 3 - Manual check of functions
To access the on board diagnosis function the OFF button and the blower PLUS switch must be pressed simultaneously for approximately two seconds with the ignition in position 2. The central display panel will show a single "streamer bar" to represent Mode 1 – (Read fault memory).
To access Mode 1 the AUTO button must be pressed.
Mode 1: Read Fault Memory
The IHKA fault memory is read and displayed in the central display panel. If no faults are present 00 is displayed and if a fault is stored FF is displayed followed by a code number is ***** This display flashes at 0.5 Hz.
IHKA Fault Codes Description
01 Solar sensor fault
02 Interior temperature sensor fault
03 Heater core temperature sensor fault
04 Air distribution servomotor feedback fault
05 Blend flap servomotor feedback fault
06 Blower switch minus fault
07 Blower switch plus fault
08 Interior sensor fan fault
09 Air distribution servomotor fault
10 Blend flap servomotor fault
To select Mode 2 or 3 it is necessary to press the OFF button, the second or third streamer bar illuminating will indicate the relevant mode to the Technician depending on how many times the OFF button is pressed. To access the mode the AUTO button must be pressed.
Mode 2: Calibration Run
The objective of the calibration procedure is to correct the position drift of the servomotors for temperature and air distribution control.
During a calibration run:
 Both servomotors are driven to their two end positions and the new values stored in the IHKA EEPROM.
 All LED's activated simultaneously.
 Blower streamer bars individually illuminated.
 CA flashes in the central display panel at 0.5 Hz.
There are three possible operating statuses shown in the central display:
 CA = Calibration Active
 CC = Calibration Complete
 FF = Fault
Mode 3: Manual Mode
In this mode blower, air distribution, recirculation, heated screens, air conditioning ON/OFF and temperature are manually controlled.
To exit the on board diagnosis mode the ignition must be switched to the off position.

this does not fully diagnose the issue or prevent you from having to take the car in. there is no value in bothering with this.

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert