BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 1994 automatic bmw rolling chassis, i bought

Customer Question
hello, i have a 1994...
hello, i have a 1994 automatic bmw rolling chassis, i bought a 92 non vanos m50b25 motor out of the junkyard, also put the manual trans, slave, master cylinder etc in the 94 chassis, i bought a non vanos harness and ecu but do not have the auto trans harness, i got the car all put togeather, i have power to the car, but when i turn the key the starter doesnt even try to engage. starter has power, is it not possible to put a non vanos m50 in a vanos chassis
'
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a BMW. The BMW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried finding a neutral safety switch, i hooked the auto shifter back up nd put it in park so maybe it would start but i get nothing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: i think thats it, all 92 non vanos engine wiring, 92 non vanos engine, ecu but was auto, do not have the auto harness only have the stick harness but all in a 94 vanos chassis.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, so i had a manual (5spd) 1993 bmw 325i with the m50 vanos motor, my diff ripped through the floor and the motor was in bad shape, so i found a automatic 1994 bmw 325i rolling chassis that was solid for $300, so i bought it and looked around for a motor for it, i found a non vanos motor out of a 1992 325i with 89k on it for $200, so i bought it and traded my 93 vanos engine harness and ecu for a non vanos engine harness and ecu out of a 92 5spd 325i, hooked all wiring up, hoses, maf from the 92, trans and clutch pedal assembly out of the 93 all good to go. put a battery in the car and i get body power but when i turn the key, nothing happens at all. im completely lost. i dont know whats going on. harness is completely hooked up, alternator is plugged in, starter is plugged in, fusebox power wire is plugged in. but am not getting any power.
4/24/2016
BMW Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer
the starter cranking would have nor relation to the engines being different. have you tried to jump the starter? by applying power to the solenoid?
BMW Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
do you know if your key is chipped? if it is the new ecu is most likely not recognizing the key and needs to be programmed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Key is not chipped, ecu is a red label bosch 402 so it wasnt in a car with ews either. I have not tried to jump the starter but it worked on my previouse motor the day i did the swap. I cut the #5(green/grey) and #7 (brown/black) wires coming out of the off the auto shifter plug, and spliced them to ground the neutral safety switch and still get nothing, windows work, heater works, seats work, mirrors work, dash lights work. When i turn rhw key, something clicks and if i have the brake pedal enguaged when i turn the key, i can feel that click in the pedal. Other than thhat, not a songle response from starter or fuel pump.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also not a battery issue, i have brand new battery in the back, also on a jump pack, and being jumped with jumper cables from the front post, alsi have another set of jumpers running a ground from the alternator bracket to the body of the carr for extra ground. Cant think of anything else that would restrict my fuel pump or starter from operating
mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer