BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Got a 2000 BMW 328i, lately it's been behaving in a weird way.

Customer Question
you wanna go somewhere it...
got a 2000 BMW 328i, lately it's been behaving in a weird way. you wanna go somewhere it wont start one hour later starts without any problem. also codes p1520 and p1519 came up today.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
4/16/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
what does the car do exactly when you try to start?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no crank no start all the lights come on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lets continue with text
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
that is not related to your codes.
the most likely causes of what you are experiencing is a faulty key or failing starter
other possibilities include a faulty brake light switch, trans or clutch switch, or immobilizer issue.
I would start by trying a second key and then have the starter checked out
if those both check out you will need to have the can scanned with a factory BMW scan tool when the issue is present to validate the cause.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the starter is new, and I have new ignition switch
the starter could be defective, although that is unlikely. if the starter is not the cause the rest of my answer stands
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you give more info on this, trans or clutch switch, or immobilizer issue.
do you have auto transmission or manual?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
automatic
the transmission needs to send a signal to the car that it is in p or n to enable start. if the switch that signals this is faulty, start is prevented. you can also try starting in neutral when this happens to see if anything changes.
the immobilizer is what senses that they correct key is present (via computer chip in the key) then signals the ECU to enable start. if the immobilizer or its antenna that senses the key is faulty, the car will not start
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
immobilizer has no problem was checked by bmw but wanted a lot of money to repair the ,car
BMW would need to check it when the issue was present to know for sure if the issue was the immobilizer or not.
if BMW has identified the cause, I would have to defer to whatever hands on diagnostics they have carried out, regardless of quoted price.
I have provided a list of the most common things that will cause a no crank no start. if some have been checked, that is fine, the rest need to be checked when the issue is presenting itself.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
am still not satisfied
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need a solution not theories
how can I give you a solution when I am not at the car?
and full, definitively testing has not been carried out?
this is a question and answer website, I can answer questions that are asked. I have answered every question that has been asked so far.
if you have additional questions, please ask them. if you do not have additional questions, please select a rating of OK/3stars or higher to ensure I receive credit for my time and answer out of the funds you have already paid to open your question.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your answers are not good enough. I have never had a problem with brake lights or the transmission
my answers are not good enough? what question has not been answered?
I am going to opt out of your question, perhaps another expert can provide the solution you are looking for remotely.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
am not satisfied at all
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert