Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

525i: I currently have a BMW 5 series e60. Today as I was

Customer Question

Hi I currently have a BMW 5 series e60.
Today as I was driving the vehicle got to a traffic light and the vehicle stopped working tried to turn it back on wouldn't turn back on also on numerous occasions when I come to turn car on it won't turn on unless you put cables from one car to the other and really rev the car for it to start working again I think the battery is fully draining itself and near the CD player there is a noise no matter how much you charge the battery it seems to be draining constantly even when you open the door if you open the door for a few seconds the car won't turn back on what do you think the problem is from
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Are you referring to a dash mounted CD player or trunk mounted changer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please help me resolve this problem
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
has the battery been tested or replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery was tested and it gave us it has full power
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
you said you hear noises near the CD player. you don't know if the cd player is in the dash or on the trunk/boot? surely if you can identify noises from the CD player you know whether it is in the dash or trunk/boot????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is 6 changer CD player in the glove box and there is also single CD player in the dash
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
where is the noise coming from? the dash or the glove box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dash
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest you have the battery load tested and consider replacing it just to be sure it is not the problem.I would also have the alternator tested to be sure it is charging properly.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if everything checks out / the issue persists, then you will need to identify the source of the drain. To do this, you will need to monitor battery drain while pulling fuses one by one. when you pull the fuse that stops the battrey drain (neing monitored with a meter) then you have identified the problem and the component on that circuit will need to be further inspected and likely replaced.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've had this problem for over 3 months now the battery has full power of 140
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
140 isn't a measure of battery voltage
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
the battery should read 12.5v at rest, 14-14.5 with engine on
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
the battery should still be re tested in my opinion, along with the alternator
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
then the additional draw tested as I've outlined. The answer does not change if the battery checks out okay.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is a problem with the alternator I won't be able to drive the car at all
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
not necessarily.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
an alternator test is very simple and takes 5min. many parts stores will do it for free. it is part of robust testing for an issue like yours.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if you want to skip a battery and alternator test that is up to you. you can go straight to draw testing / fuse pulling in that case, which will be the ultimate testing required if the battery and alternator is good. I have outlined good testing procedures and what I would do. if you wish to skip some that is up to you.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the CCc relay for the battery
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
there is no relay for the battery. the CCC in the unit in the dash that accepts discs
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
even if you are on a subscription plan with multiple questions you must still select a positive rating to credit your expert, although you will not be charged anything additional to do so beyond your subscription rate. thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is it located
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
in the dash - it is the unit that accepts discs in the dash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also oil levels are not accurate on the screen what do you think the problem is
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi, an oil questions constitutes a new question per site policy (I am not allowed to answer here) and it will need to be posted separately. If you are on a subscription plan you will not be charged additionally beyond your subscription rate to post a new question. I would be happy to answer the question for you if you post it to me. as the present question has been answered, please CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
as the present question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating. thank you in advance for your attention to the rating requirement.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
after selecting a positive rating on this question, a new question can be posted to me via this link and I will respond immediately: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=26942375&FID=36
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
a positive rating is 3stars+ or OK+. thank you in advance for ensureing I am properly credited for my time and answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid you so can you please answer the question about the oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I find the computer for the battery
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
There is no computer for the battery. As the question has been answered please kindly click on a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a unit that gives the battery power then
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
No, the battery is what provides power to the car. Nothing else gives the battery power except the alternator. As the question has been answered please kindly now select a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
No, the battery is what provides power to the car. Nothing else gives the battery power except the alternator. As the question has been answered please kindly now select a positive rating..