BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Steering and shifter.locked won't start JA: Anything else…

Steering and shifter.locked won't...

Steering and shifter.locked won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else I can tell the BMW Mechanic before I connect you two?

They said they were giving another car a jump and shut car unfortunately and every thing locked up and car won't start or turn over now

4/9/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
what year and model is the car?
2007 328i
what warnings show on the dash?
Red steerig wheel with padlock
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on a saturday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
I'm afraid I have bad news. 99% the car will need to be towed to BMW. Unfortunately this is a very common problem on this model when voltage fluctuuates. The electronic steering lock is very common to fail and cause this. You can try wiggling the wheel and rocking the car back and forth, a second key, a jump start, check fuses, lock unlock the car a few times using the blade key, and unhooking the battery for an hour. Truthfully, none of these is likely to work. I'm afraid that almost certainly the car will need to be towed to bmw, as this is usually the only way to resolve this issue. Bmw will normally have to update the software or replace the steering column to fix the issue. BMW actually got rid of the steering lock on later model 3 series’ because they failed so commonly and were such a problem. If you do a google search for e90 steering lock or e90 elv, you will find all kinds of people with the same issue. I am sorry I can't have better news, but I do trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated. Again this is very common.Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Very professional,10 on a10 scale! Thank you!!
you are welcome. please kindly CLICK ON a rating of excellent / 5stars
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert