Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW X3 2006; won't start; lights, air, radio all come on but

Customer Question

BMW X3 2006; won't start; lights, air, radio all come on but no crank- how can I test the key to see if it's bad?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes, I tried a jump start, but it didn't work
JA: Anything else I can tell the BMW Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
you have asked "how can I test the key to see if it's bad? "
the answer is that dealership equipment is required to test a key, the only way you can determine this at home is to try a second key as two cannot fail at the same time. If you do not have a second key then unfortunately you cannot yourself determine if the key is the cause or not without buying a second key from a dealer
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.