BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

745i: How do you remove the steering rack return line on a

Customer Question
How do you remove the...
How do you remove the steering rack return line on a 2003 bmw 745i. The subframe has been removed. There's a black plastic cover over the fitting that goes in to the rack
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
4/3/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Check and see if the fitting snaps into place or is latched down with bolts or clips needing removed to then access the line and fitting.If this is or has been checked already and you are unable to locate how this is removed let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no bolt or clip on the fitting. There is a black plastic cover over the fitting. It looks like the cover can be pushed down to release the fitting similar to a fuel line.
O.k.,this fitting requires a special tool or tools.I will post the procedure below.You might be able to rent these tools from a dealer or parts store but if not then a dealer or repair facility will have to remove this line unfortunately. Special tools required:- 32 1 030- 32 1 300There are 2 different types of FCD clutches: 1. FCD clutches with plastic caps 2. Metal FCD clutches (N73 only!) FCD clutches without plastic caps must be replaced with a suitable special tool!https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqcq7yf0x4o9x32/p-04-03.gif?dl=0FCD coupling with plastic caps: Removal To release quick-release coupling, turn cap from position (A) - closed - to position (B) - open.https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bxs3lolmyy7ovw/pl-04-03.gif?dl=0Unlock quick-release coupling by pressing on cap (1). Detach line while pressing cap. In event of removal while installed, use special tool 32 1 030If necessary, fit repair kithttps://www.dropbox.com/s/neiybg11k6sopoo/pla-04-03.gif?dl=0Installation Coat seal pack (O-ring (1), support ring (2)) with hydraulic fluid before sliding in. Slide quick-release coupling into housing by pressing on coupling cover. Quick-release coupling must snap into place with an audible "click".https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g08qv0glffztja/plas-04-03.gif?dl=0If necessary, lock coupling by turning cap from position (B) to position (A). Lug of coupling must be over line outlet - position (A).https://www.dropbox.com/s/9x9s3anchpqlii9/plast-04-03.gif?dl=0 Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could not find the tool on the internet or anywhere else. The picture you sent just looked like a regular wrench that I suppose you would hit with a hammer from the other end. The picture doesn't show the other end.So, I ripped off the plastic cover of one fitting to try and access it but no luck. The plastic cover for the other fitting is still there and I could not get it off either.
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician