BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I would like to retrofit Active Cruise Control as it was not

Customer Question
available when I bought my...
I would like to retrofit Active Cruise Control as it was not available when I bought my car. I have a manual, and while I know it's not available these days on manual cars from the factory, I had it on a manual E92 so I am hopeful the on board computer still supports it.
I am a generalist hands-on engineer with considerable professional experience on a broad range of electrical, mechanical, IT and telecommunications systems as well as some command level programming but I have limited experience with automobiles. I would like to do this work myself, or as much as possible (ie, it may be that calibration work needs to be done by a BMW garage). I would be grateful if you could give me a list of part numbers I would need, as much technical detail as possible about how I would install the parts, and the programming I would need to carry out.
While I have a good level of technical knowledge and understanding my understanding of BMW proprietary terminology is limited.
I have a UK spec manual BMW F30 Luxury with CIC, PDC, Adaptive Headlights, etc. The instrument cluster has the markings for ACC.
I understand that this may not be possible at all, and even if it is, I understand that providing an answer in sufficient detail may take too long.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
3/23/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The first thing that needs done is to see if a dealer carries or sells a retro fit kit for this here.If they do not this may involve replacing control units/ecu's for this here to operate properly in your model and may not even be possible.I would contact a dealer first to see if they offer any kind of retro fit kit for this here.If this is not an option for you let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I was hoping to do the retrofit using parts bought from eBay and/or scrapyards. I've searched online forums extensively and the cost of the parts new and then labour makes the retrofit uneconomic if done by a dealer. Some people have said they've bought some of the parts and were preparing to have a go at it but they've never posted back to say how they got on.
I'm abroad at the moment, so I can speak to a dealer, but I was hoping someone might have an in-depth understanding of the system and how it works or access to BMW's documentation.

Unfortunately I do not have this info myself here.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete - if you wouldn't mind opening it up I think it's worth a shot. I realise my question is a difficult one and that it may not be possible to get an answer.

No problem.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician