Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

07 525xi wont start, replaced battery and starter. when i

Customer Question

07 525xi wont start, replaced battery and starter.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when i press start button, i only hear 1 click which seems to come from starter. car wont turn over.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What exactly does the car do when you try to start it? Do the lights dim at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lights do not go dim. I hear a click when i press the start button and thats pretty much it. i repeat the process of starting it and just 1 click is all i hear. thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
have you checked that the engine isn't seized or hydrolocked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am almost 100%sure the engine is fine and is not hydrolocked.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
if the starter is clicking then this means it is getting the start signal
so if it will not turn the engine over, either the starter is defective, it is not getting enough power on the main power line, or the engine is seized
there are many things which can prevent the start signal, but if the starter is clicking, this is not the issue.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has less than 80k miles and it was running without any problems until this happened. The only thing I can add, is that prior to replacing the battery, I know I left the headlights on overnight. I think that caused the battery do die. I tried to Jump start it but to no avail. That's when all this problem started from.Is there anything else you can add besides the fact it can have a bad engine?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
based on what you have described - if the starter is indeed clicking - then the starter is bad or the engine is.
if the starter is not clicking, and it is something else making the noise that has not been identified, then there could definitely be a problem with the immobilizer, ignition electronics, transmission position switch, etc, etc. This would require a scan with a factory BMW scan tool to verify.