BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2000 528i, no dash lights, head lights, speedometer, radio,

Customer Question
2000 528i, no dash...

2000 528i, no dash lights, head lights, speedometer, radio, electric windows. car starts and runs fine. I replaced the LCM and am unable to code it as it is not recognized on my laptop

Mechanic's Assistant: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I started having issues with headlight turning on and alarm going off and then eventually nothing worked

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Checked all fuses and grounds and found that the LCM was burned out on the PC board, my programmer does not see there is a different LCM installed so I cannot recode it

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?

I have also replaced speed sensors

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
3/12/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has anything after market been wired into your vehicle at all before this issue started to occur?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

No
Totally stock
water ran down the door pillar and ruined the LCM, I replaced it and tried to code it and it is not recognized anymore.

I apologize for the delay.

Was there any wiring or connection corrosion at the LCM connections?

I opened up the LCM and found it had a burn spot on the PC board, no corrosion on the connectors I checked that thoroughly

Did you replace it with a new one or a used one?

used one with same ID numbers, I have done this before on my 540 and didn't have an issue recoding it. This one doesn't even appear to be there and I have tried a few others that are known good and nothing shows with any of them

Unfortunately this is a tough one for me to answer myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Roger, BMW Master Tech