BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2004 BMW X5 4.4 BATTERY DRAIN.... Battery keeps draining…

Customer Question
2004 BMW X5 4.4 BATTERY...
2004 BMW X5 4.4 BATTERY DRAIN....
Battery keeps draining after car sits overnight. Park light stays illuminated on shifter. When we disconnect the instrument cluster the drain stops... already sent cluster out for repair and cluster was found to be good (no problems found). Any other idea what could cause battery drain? Also, the navigation system is not lighting up.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
3/10/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately what will need done here is to do a battery drain/draw test with a multi meter to locate the fault with the drain issue.I will post the procedure below on how this is done.Once you locate the fuse/circuit the draw is on let me know and I can see if I can look up the fuse components so we can locate which component needs repaired or replaced.

What needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.If you need help knowing what is on the fuses circuit once the fuse is located let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician