BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Need to confirm i have a starter problem. 2007 BMW 328I.

Customer Question
Friend car. Started having push...
Need to confirm i have a starter problem. 2007 BMW 328I. Friend car. Started having push button issues, sometimes would crank sometimes wouldn't. One day at a walmart parking it just wouldn't crank at all. They tried to jump it thinking it's the battery, but the jumper wire started to melt and they disconnected it. I believe they switched the wires. They removed it. Towed it to me. I checked fuses (not sure there is a starter relay), checked battery, charged it twice. Disconnected battery many times over night. Disconnected the BIS wire from negative battery, still nothing. Removed belt thinking maybe alternator locked up, nothing. Need to know whether a starter problem or not
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
3/4/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
There is really no way to 100% confirm it is the starter without testing for the start signal at the starter (difficult given its position), removing and bench testing the starter, or running diagnostics with a BMW scan tool
What you have described is very very often a starter on this model, but if jumpers were connected backwards this can cause computer or power distribution issues which cannot be ruled out
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

i have a good scanner, what can i look for as far as control modules testing? I can touch the positive cable going to the starter with a test light or a multimeter, is there anything we can confirm there? I know it is difficult to diagnose it without removing it, but that is why I have posted my question...

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

you need to assess the start signal, not positive cable power, so no, you cannot verify anything from the positive cable.

a factory BMW scan tool is required for this type of diagnosis, a third party scanner won't be able to do it

I am sorry, but there is no short cut to verifying this. I trust that my honesty is appreciated.

well, my question initially was that i need to confirm that the starter is the problem. This doesn't really help me out in any way possible. Please opt out and let someone else help. There is always a short cut. So every indy shop is going to remove the starter to test it to confirm? Doesn't make sense. Thanks anyways.