BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Am getting this code 2738 and 273D, 2hat does they mean,

Customer Question
Am getting this code...

Am getting this code 2738 and 273D , 2hat does they mean

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Gerring increase emissions car dont pick up right , acceration slow up hill

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
3/4/2016
BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 2 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician

What type of BMW do you have?

2004 530i let me tell what been dont to my car, 4 o2 senor been replece , secondary pump with valve been replace, mas flow been replace, disa valve been replace , the only aftermarket part is intake
It have 135000 miles

2738 Catalytic converter conversion, bank 1

273D Catalytic converter conversion, bank 2

Those faults are indicating that the catalytic converters require replacement. Seeing how they both have failed you had something else failed that ruined the cats. It could have been one of the components you already replaced.

i just replace that cat, everything that been replace to my car is oem or Genuine only intake filter is aftermarkt, what do you recommend me to do next?

You will need to put the car back to oem, replace the cats and see if any new faults come up and if they do fix the issue immediately.

The parts i brought that i replace are oem ...... the only thing is after market is intake..........but my part at fcpeuro and oembimmerpart? No aftermarket , juat intake

I would put the oem intake back on, Ok good about the oem parts.

Will after market intake will damage my cat..?

It could of

That new and never hear intake will mess up the cats , but for sure i need to replace my cat........now gotta see how much oem will cost me for sure more then 1k

Yes they will need to be replaced and they will be expensive.

What about use OEM Cats ?

I would recommend oem parts, I would be skeptical about used parts though.

They parting 2004 bmw oem with 84k, cat come with warranty

If it comes with a warranty then I would go for it.

One year warranty , coming from 2004 bmw 530i they parting out and the car have 84k mile , it half of the price of the new one, sdo i need to replace my o2 senor they not even year old ? Dont think so....

Sounds like a good donor car, and no you would not need to replace the O2 sensors you can reuse them

But for sure these code mean i need to replace the cats , just need to ask again , .......problem is , car feel take long to pick up ,car throw me to 2 code i reset twice they are 273d and 2738...i want make sure before i buy them these code mean that

That is the best diagnosis I can give over a keyboard. To be 100 percent sure you will need to bring it to the dealer and let them get there hands on it.

I also have bmw mechanic do diagnostic .....he too one the upper o2 senor close to the engine and check the presure the psi was around 5 that when he told me your cat not good , is this is true doing that test

That is a back pressure test. Excessive back pressure indicates failed cats.

Hit the acceration and check the presure and it when straight to 5 psi , hope i explained myself good or making sence lol

Yes you have, that is what is causing the poor performance. It sounds like a cat.

When he hit the acceration and when to 5 psi that was Good sign that my cat are going bad ?, what will be good cat with this test?

Yes that is a lot of backpressure Less than 2 psi.

Thank for explaining yourself to me teaching me something new , wish there a advice # ***** in rouch, need pppl like yourself , ro share the exp ... also like to thank you for a having patient over keyboard and i know my grammer isnt great keeny, there email if in future have any other question

I am glad I can help. Good luck and I am always on here feel free to request me again. Please don't forget to leave positive feedback that is how I am compensated.