BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2009 Mini ***** ***** that the ignition wire to the starter…

Customer Question
2009 Mini ***** *****...

2009 Mini ***** ***** that the ignition wire to the starter is only hot for about a second when pushing the start button. The starter only engages for a moment but will not crank the engine. If you jump the terminal it will crank over, start and run no problem. Will not start by use of push button. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Code A0C1

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
New starter, new battery, did voltage drop test (all good). I believe the CAS and EWS is out of sync or possibly the CAS has failed.
3/4/2016
BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 2 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician

I do not believe it is a ews-cas alignment issue. When they fall out of sync the engine cranks but doesn't fire the spark plugs so it can be bypassed by a car thief by jumping the starter like you did. I suspect you have a issue with the hall sensor in the start stop switch itself.

Hall sensor in start stop switch? Not aware of any hall sensor in the switch. Can you elaborate on how the switch can function in this manner? Momentary engagement of starter sounded like a timing issue or lack of input by rpm signal. As for the A0C1 code which refers to CAS output terminal 50, how does it affect the start stop switch? Is terminal 50 what supplies the start stop switch or the other way around? Mitchell-On-Demand lacks the resource as how terminal 50 is laid out. Also. if the start stop switch is the defective component, what programming needs done to finalize?
No responce on this .....