BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Fuel pump works only with jumper wire inside glove box fuse…

Customer Question
Fuel pump works only with...
Fuel pump works only with jumper wire inside glove box fuse panel between 22 & 31. I bought the car like this. Can't find any bad fuses have checked in trunk battery compartment and under passenger cabin air filter compartment. Please advise, much appreciated!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
3/3/2016
BMW Mechanic: SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician

Is there power at fuse #22? I am assuming not.Fuse #22 is for the fuel pump relay.

Sounds like a bad fuel pump relay.By jumping power from fuse#31 to 22 you are bypassing the fuel pump relay.

Fuse #22 should have power all the times even with the key off.If not then could be a bad connection behind the fuse box.

A bad engine control module relay could also cause no power at fuse#22.

I agree that is what I was thinking a bad relay and am unsure which it would be as there are many relay locations throughout the car with several relays.Key off: fuse 22 1.0v fuse 31 0v.
Key on: fuse 22 3.5v fuse 31 12v.

There is a small fuse box with 5 fuses in it for the engine electronic.Did you check the fuse there?This is what the fuse box looks like.

checked all 5, those are good.
Can you tell me the location of the fuel pump relay & ECM relay? Possibly the instructions to test the relay as well? Very much appreciated!
Note when the jumper is removed from #22 the dash informational display goes out until jumper is returned.
SuperDave, please pass on the question to another technician if you are no longer able to help, very much appreciated!
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first thing that will need to be done is test for constant power to the fuel pump relay with the key on. The relay will be in one of two spots. It will either be in a relay box in the right side of the trunk, or it will be in a box just behind and below the glovebox opening.

SOLUTION: This car is super clean inside and out, not a mark on the carpet, and the problem was super corroded fuse panel below passenger seat carpet. Picture attached.NOTE: Top mounted wires (majority of them) are actually OK, it's the several which attach on the underside out of view which are the culprit!

Excellent, I'm glad you found it! That looks pretty bad.