BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

My name is ***** *****. Getting ready to replace ignition

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** *****. Getting ready to replace ignition switch on my 1993 bmw 525i not the tumbler but the electrical mechanism. Does this part need to come straight from the dealership and programed for my vehicle? Do you know of any videos that show how to do this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. What would you like to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
3/2/2016
BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 1 year ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician

After the switch replacement your vehicle will not need to be programmed. There are no videos of your car but it is similar to a E30 being replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am safe to order the part from a parts store? I called the dealership they assured me that I needed to purchase the part from them and it would need to be programmed but from the vids that I see I don't see how it would need to be programmed for my car. I can understand it for the tumbler but not the actual switch?

You are safe to order it anywhere you want, I am disappointed in the dealer and it misleading you like that. No programing or coding necessary. Plug and play.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I finally got a chance to make the switch of the switches and still can't get my car started. Any other ideas you have would be appreciated?

Let's start with the basics, Your battery is fully charged (even if the lights come on and radio works doesn't mean there is enough power to start the engine). Next i would check the starter to make sure it is getting the signal to start if it is, then it is a failed start (this is a very common failure point)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so had the battery checked, all good. Had the starter checked, starter is good. Was able to hear the beautiful buzz of the engine by turning the engine switch with a flat head screwdriver. Whew! But am still unable to drive vehicle because I can't get it started with the key? And no matter what gear it is in the steering wheel will not turn fully? Only turns a little to the right and a little to the left?
BMW Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi. Different expert here. I might be able to help you, but only if you clarify the following points:

• Are you only looking for information on how to replace the ignition switch?
  • Are you looking for help in diagnosing why the car won't start? If yes,
    • what has been done to the vehicle so far?
    • what do you mean by "making the switch of the switches"?
    • what do you mean by "turning the engine switch with a flat head screwdriver"
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer