peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Getting this warning so i parked it ...have seen this before

Customer Question

Getting this warning so i parked it ...have seen this before but would stop.. if i cut car off and took key out. but now it keeps coming on ...Accelerate gently slowly,avoiding high engine loads ,as catalyst damage could result...
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what the warning is that you see?

Have you had the fault codes checked at all for this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not yet just got the warning Friday so haven't taken anywhere yet .. do i have to go to Bmw to get this checked

What will have to be done here is to have the fault codes checked with a scan tool or computer that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done the fault codes that have set with this issue here can then be diagnosed to locate and correct this fault here.There are a large number of different codes and faults that can set so having the codes checked needs done first to then locate and repair the issue.

This is best done by a dealer but doesnt have to be done by a dealer.This can be checked and diagnosed by another repair facility in your area that works on this model vehicle here as well and may be cheaper to have done then a dealer.A dealer however will have the best tools and knowledge to diagnose and repair the fault here.

If the engine is running properly and transmission is shifting properly and there are no braking issues or overheating issues and no smoke issues you may be able to push this off a day or two until you can have it looked into but if the vehicle is operating poorly with any of these here it should be looked into right away.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I go to an auto parts place & get it checked?

In some cases places like Auto Zone may be able to check the fault codes for you but I would make sure they check all computers for codes.They usually cannot do the diagnostics on this here though but they can usually check most computers for codes if you ask them to check all computers.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete