Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

I just brought a 2010 BMW X5 4.8i. with 80K ***** *****.

Customer Question

Hi Steve, I just brought a 2010 BMW X5 4.8i. with 80K ***** *****. This morning I noticed a fluctuating idle and now a check engine light on. What could be the cause of this. I am new to BMWs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it seems to be running a bit rougher than normal. the last time i put gas in it it was from Valero
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

It looks like Steve is not available right now, but I hope I can help. This model has experienced some issues with vacuum leaks at the intake that can cause your symptoms. It is also possible your throttle plate is simply gummed up and needs to be cleaned (the fly by wire system can't maintain good idle if the throttle gets sticky, and this will cause a check engine light). Really the best course of action is to get the computer(s) scanned for codes. The stored code will point towards a diagnosis.