Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

I have a 05 530i E60 BMW both two front seats stopped

Customer Question

I have a 05 530i E60 BMW both two front seats stopped working at the same time it started off as a intermittent problem and then they just stopped I checked the fuse for both seats that we're good also check the switches on both seats to make sure there was no breaks in in the wiring and I check the wiring to both seat modules looking for a broken wire I found no wires that appear to be broke under both seats and I also replaced the passenger seat control module and both seats still don't work
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you are sure the fuse checks okay the the next step would be to check for power and ground at the seat switch and if that checks okay the check for power out of the switch to the seat motors. I have enclosed the wiring diagrams for both seats in the link below for reference , copy and paste the links below to your browser to open and view them. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20seat%20Feb%2021.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20seat%20%232%20Feb%2021.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron I apologize for not responding sooner working, my name is ***** ***** I did test the power into both front seats switch that was okay, and I test the power out on both seats switch at the plugin connection port no power I checked all functions
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Herb,

Do you have power into the switches and none out, is that what your saying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power out of the switch on both seats
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then are you getting the power at the seat motors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was my mistake I only have power at the switch RED/GRN wire no power out to the motor
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you have power into the switch on the power wire (red/green) and none out on the either wire will working the switch then that usually means you have a failing switch or an open circuit from the switch to the motors in each seat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
question if I unplug the seat switch and use a jumper across from the red/grn to either wire would that activate a function if there is not a open circuit in the wiring without causing a problem
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You can jump it as long as you provide power and ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay Ron I jump it and now I have no power at the red/grn wire i check the fuses in the glove box that was ok
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The red/green wire is the power supply wire from the fuse to the switches. If you have lost power on it and your sure the fuse is okay then you a have an open in the circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that there is a open circuit now but prior to me using the jumper it was ok I had power at the switch red/grn wire and soon as the jumper was used power was lost that why I ask you was it safe doing this so that it would not cause any other problems.would you have a wiring schematic showing were the switch is powered from on the seat module so I can troubleshoot from that point back
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you did not blow the fuse. Using a jumper is safe as long as you jump the correct circuit. You may need to seek some hands help here .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure I jump the right circuit prior to this I ask was it safe to jumper across the red/grn switch wire to either wire and your reply was yes as long as I had power with a ground that is all I did ,and I am only aware of only two fuse boxes in the car glove box / trunk the seat fuse are in the glove box F21 passenger seat if there is another location please inform me, I am capable of performing the troubleshooting without seeking some hands help I would appreciate a wiring schematic showing from the seat module to the switch or a schematic how the seat is powered thank you.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There is only the fuse shown in the factory wiring diagram I sent you. I have sent you all the wiring diagram I have . I will open the post back up for you in hopes someone else has something different to add. If they can help you they will post back.