BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Last night stopped to gas up my 1997 328i. Everything was…

Customer Question
Last night stopped to...

Last night stopped to gas up my 1997 328i. Everything was working fine when shut car off. After filling with gas, got in and turned key, no crank. Have all dash lights, battery seems strong, will operate power windows, headlights, etc. Also noticed my key fob now will not lock/unlock the car. Hear chirp , but will not lock/unlock. The interior door lock button would not work either. Replaced fuses that I could at gas station in the middle of the night, now the interior button works, but key fob still does not lock/unlock. Similar no crank incident occurred about two years ago, (except no locking issues). Turned out to be bad starter. Replaced it with best quality NEW starter I could buy. So it is doubtful I have starter issue now. Sounds like there may be an immobilizer system issue? Any suggestions?, ***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Have not started diagnosis yet. Looking for most likely cause for this issue.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks, ***** *****?
You have asked for suggestions
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
I would suggest trying a second key, locking/unlocking the car manually, unhooking the battery for an hour, checking all fuses and removing any after market alarm
If the issue persists you likely have an immobilizer issue or other failed module and the vehicle will need to be scanned with a BMW scan tool to further diagnose
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
I would also try a jump start if you have not
Please kindly click on a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer
If there are no additional questions, please kindly click on a positive rating