BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Jay, I also own a 2007 BMW 328xi with 119,000 miles on it. I…

Customer Question
Hey Jay, I also own...
Hey Jay, I also own a 2007 BMW 328xi with 119,000 miles on it. I took your advise and drove to BMW (2/18/2016) in Denver to have that issue taken care of. Well, $900.00 later I'm in my vehicle driving home and I noticed my transmission seemed a little "chunky" a word my service advisor used to describe what I would probably feel until the transmission "re-adjusted". So I drove the 300 miles home. Today when I drove the car it still seem to shift funny but when I went through a school zone the shuddering began again. Which leads me to a conversation I had with the service provider when they were couple of hours into the repair. The Service Advisor mentioned to me that they showed zero quantity of the additive when he thought they had some. They were getting ready to go purchase the filter and I told him that I did not want to change the transmission fluid if they did did not have the additive. He said he would pursue this and get back with me. Well I didn't see him for about 4 hours and he said that everything was good. He indicated he found the additive. I don't like being suspicious but based on the way things went and the fact that the shudder never went away. I've spent $2,000.00 chasing this problem and I'm not any closer. I'm retired and I can't afford to keep putting money into a 2007 with 119,000 miles on it. I love this car and I've never had any issues since I've had it. Do you have any other thoughts concerning this problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
2/20/2016
BMW Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

are you sure they changed the filter

They charged me for it.

what all did they do besides the filter change and additive

5- #83-22-2-163-514 ATF DEXRON
1- #24-11-7-572-618 Gasket
1- #24-11-7-593-565 Set oil filter
1- #24-11-7-572-622 N Plug
1- #83-22-2-161-756 GM6 T0p-Treat Tcc: 832514
BMW Mechanic: JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech replied 2 years ago
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Did they happen to provide you with the serial number on the transmission? Did you go there explaining to them your symptom, or just told them you wanted the additive installed? Did they mention how the old fluid coming out of the transmission looked?

-JP

No they didn't provide the serial number. I showed them your response to that other owner with the 2007 328xi that had the same "shudder" at 20 mph that I did. They did not mention anything about the old fluid but I have a call into the dealership so when they call me back I will ask him.

Do you know if they disconnected your transfer case and drove the car also, to see if the shudder goes away? Also ask them this as well.

They told me they drove it at 20mph,30mph, & 40. I didn't notice until I got home which was about 300 miles. Hopefully they will return my call and I will ask those questions. The car shifts at about 20mph and it seems to shudder right before it shifts,

Hi, have you heard back k from the service department from the dealership yet? Just checking in.

Thanks, JP

Hi JP,
For whatever reason they are not returning my calls. I'll try his boss.Ron

Sounds good. Let me know how you make out. Otherwise the vehicle will need to be re-evsluated. Are there any local foreign repair shops in your area?