BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2004 BMW 330CI convertible top issue, and radio disable…

Customer Question
2004 BMW 330CI convertible top...

2004 BMW 330CI convertible top issue, and radio disable issue.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
2/19/2016
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the battery has been disconnected or replaced or was discharged at one point and had to be recharged this can cause the radio to lock up and possibly the top needing calibrated to correct this fault here.Usually this needs done by a dealer as the radio may need programmed by them to unlock it and may require their hand held scan tool or computer to relearn the top.If this did not occur here or is not the reason for the issues here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

No calibration is needed for top or radio. I bought several convertible bmws before and changed batteries on most. Also radios don't have codes like most cars do. And if needed the dealer to reset it then how did it work sometimes and sometimes says disabled.

I saw that no one else had responded to this here and thought I would try and assist with this.I will see if any other BMW technicians can assist with this here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 2 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician

Sounds like you have a K-Can bus issue. I have seen radio read "Disable" when the communication bus is not functioning this will also affect the convertible top module it is on the same bus.

Diagnosing bus issues is very complicated especially if the problem is intermittent you could have a chaffed wire or a failed module.

i have tried 3 K-bus modules and same issues. And this only happened after i removed the FSU, so not sure how something else could have happened. But K-bus is out for sure.

What is the K-bus you talking about the general module? What is the FSU? Sorry I only know BMW termnology.

Final stage unit and GM5 or k-BUS

Am still waiting on someone who is familiar with these vehicles and the modules it has..I really don't need any guessing..please opt out and let others see that it's still open.