BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Matt, My bmw 318i 2002 (180,000km) has rough idle problems…

Customer Question
Hi Matt, My bmw 318i 2002...
Hi Matt,
My bmw 318i 2002 (180,000km) has rough idle problems ONLY when engine is hot and engine switched off and restarted. It idles fine from cold start and remains so all the time but once I switch off the engine and switch on again, the rough idle starts with stalling, hesitation while driving and also when ac is put on. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
2/15/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
are any warning lights on?
No warning lights.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the appropriate way to approach this would be to hook up a high end BMW diagnostic computer which can read inputs and outputs from all systems and monitor readings after cold start to warm up.
then, turn the car off and back on while hot to initiate rough running - again monitoring values to see what is out of spec at that time.
this type of testing is highly advised and is the only way to avoid guess work. It should not cost more than 1 or 2 hours of labour to have this carried out and the issue definitively identified prior to investing in parts replacement.
if you do not wish to make this kind of investment then I would suspect the temp sensor as the only likely candidate to possibly cause this
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
..
.
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.
Please where exactly is the temperature sensor Located?
what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
WBAAY71020CK02371
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
the temp sensor is in the side of the engine block, shown as part 9 in this image: https://app.box.com/s/izdxvrjwkwpdecpvl61tpyhbqfakek9o -
as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
..
..
..