BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a BMW mechanical posted with "cloe0626". I

Customer Question
I have a BMW mechanical...
I have a BMW mechanical question follow up posted with "cloe0626". I have not heard back in over a day. can you tell me what is happening? This is an active conversation, I already have my credit card info entered.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/15/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hello
you do not have any bmw questions posted.
what is your question?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let me copy and paste.bmw 740i code p0011 2001Resolved • Response time 3 minutes14 Feb 2016bmw 740i code p0011 2001BMW Mechanic's response14 Feb 2016cloe0626cloe0626the code is for a faulty cam shaft positioning sensor its a 130 dollar part but they do have to remove the timing coverAsk your own BMW questionBMW Mechanic's response14 Feb 2016cloe0626cloe0626my shop would charge around 475 for this repair would recommend checking other shopsBMW Mechanic's response14 Feb 2016cloe0626cloe0626if you need anything else please let me know be sure to rate my service when you get the chanceCustomer reply14 Feb 2016I understand that. here is the rest of the story. New purchase of 2001 740i. Beautiful car, 108k miles. sport suspension.Local BMW only mechanic did work for oil leak. $2,000 to replace valve cover and upper timing cover gaskets and new plugs, oil change. Paid bill, drove 10 miles, got check engine light. P0011 code. took back to shop 3 days later (did not drive). they checked wiring and replaced bank 1 vanos solenoid. code came back. new quote is $2,980.00. Replace "variable timing sprocket" and timing check. still billing me for solenoid. HELLLLP? What the hell is happening? sure feels to me like something they messed up.BMW Mechanic's response14 Feb 2016cloe0626cloe0626i would say they hit the sensor when replacing the timing cover if it wasnt doing it before you took it in then they viable for the repair not youCustomer reply14 Feb 2016am I going to get a response?
[Attachment hidden]BMW Mechanic's response14 Feb 2016i would say they hit the sensor when replacing the timing cover if it wasnt doing it before you took it in then they liable for the repair not you they are under the conclusion that the cam shaft sensor is functioning properly but you need have them replace the sensor before they do anything else i am certian that is the problemcloe0626cloe0626Avg. question only $26was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five yearsYour question matters. cloe0626 and 3 other BMW Mechanics are ready to help.Ask your own questionKnow someone who would be interested in this conversation?Share it:
Conversations are covered by our Disclaimer.Customer reply14 Feb 2016Thank you for the help. I am in a very awkward position here. What would you recommend I do? My plan so far is this. Request they repair the problem at no charge, and share with them your opinion about the camshaft sensor. If they refuse to do this, have the car towed to another shop and repaired, and pursue legal action to collect the bill. Do you think this is fair?
Also, can you share with me an engine diagram showing where the camshaft position sensor and vanos are located?Customer reply15 Feb 2016am I going to get a response on this last question?
I am not involved in that question.
if you would like a reply to that question you will have to wait for the other expert to reply on that other page.
if you would like to ask a new question to me, I can answer you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do I get his attention? Is the session still active?
when he is online he will see your post. I do not know when he is or is not online. Experts are not site employees, they check in on their own schedules as allowed by their other commitments/work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nothing I can do but wait?Can I start a new session with you?what will it cost?
this account that you are posting on appears to be a subscription account
the other question is posted under a different account
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I have re posted.didn't know I had a subscription.
ok
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert